The Best Capital Cities in the World To Visit

It's easy to overlook some of these, even just one - don't.

3308

Why think locally? Think big and consider traveling to the best capitals in the world.

What makes a capital "the best" – culture, sights, history & things to do, to say the least.

Here's a ranking from 1-10:

#1) Rome, Italy

This is a destination you can't pass up. With its rich history dating back to BC times, there are multiple historical sites you can't miss and there's a modern side to Rome too for the tourist in you.

#2) Cairo, Egypt

This sprawling capital on the Nile River is another can't-miss. Royal mummies, all kinds of artifacts and the nearby iconic pyramids all make Cairo an attractive destination.

#3) Cape Town, South Africa

Surrounded by mountains and oceans, it's the ultimate getaway destination. Some of the scenery is truly out-of-this-world.

#4) Paris, France

This list wouldn't be complete without Paris. Highlighted by the Eiffel Tower, you'll enjoy charming cafés and extraordinary pastries, as well other fantastic sights and history.

#5) Bangkok, Thailand

A large city with a vibrant street life, Bangkok boasts a boat-filled river and network of canals, as well as sacred temples and an enormous Buddha. Worth a visit!

#6) Buenos Aires, Argentina

For a great time in South America, you have to go to Buenos Aires, rich culturally with modern art and an all-around vibrant capital city that has a touch of Europe to it.

#7) Athens, Greece

With BC-era landmarks, the capital of Greece has excellent museums that are well worth your time if you have any interest in history.

#8) Washington, D.C. USA

Washington, D.C. has a rich history, and its national monuments and museums are well worth a visit.

#9) New Delhi, India

Humayun's Tomb (New Delhi) | Humayun's tomb is a complex of … | Flickrwww.flickr.com

Well known for its architectural wonders and tourist attractions, New Delhi also boasts excellent Indian cuisine and culture.

#10) Canberra, Australia

For a unique experience down under, Canberra boasts all kinds of culture, arts & museums, as well as national attractions as the capital of Australia. Package it with a trip to Sydney which is about a 3 hours drive.