The Benefits And Perils Of Social Media

The Benefits And Perils Of Social Media

All of the reasons as to why social media can truly make or break a society.

824
The Benefits And Perils Of Social Media
SocialMediaToday

Social media is growing more and more popular each and every day. It is becoming the most accepted way to share photos, thoughts, music, and more. This increasing way of sharing is affecting societies all over the world. With the number of smart phones and tablets, social media is becoming more accessible to the average human being. It is becoming unusual for a person not to have at least one social media account, whether it be MySpace, Facebook, instagram, twitter, or one of the many other social networks that have surfaced in recent years. With so many people participating in sharing information online, social media can help make or break a society. It can benefit a society by presenting many opportunities for information to be shared. However, it can also hinder a society’s ability to determine where the line between fantasy and reality lies. Social media can be both good and harmful for society.

Social media is extremely helpful in the way that it can share information faster than any other media. With the click of a button, hundreds of people can now know what you are doing in your every day life. There is no longer need to wait for pictures to be printed from Walgreens. This can be especially helpful when trying to communicate with people that you do not see regularly, like family members living in a different state, or even in a different country. They can keep up with what you are doing, and sharing pictures can create a special bond that would not be possible without the help of social media. This method of communication is also responsible for helping students do better in school. Its easy access allows students to communicate with others for help about certain assignments and projects. Help groups for certain classes can even be created to benefit everyone involved. Social media is an excellent and convenient way to communicate, no matter the circumstance.

While there is helpfulness that comes from social media, it can also become a hindrance. Social media can discourage face-to-face interaction. Many people can become obsessed with the use of social media, and ignore the people in their lives who are right in front of them. Relationships can be ruined because individuals become obsessed with wanting to know everything their significant other posts online, and everyone who they are friends with. It is also affecting the younger population, with younger and younger kids making Facebook, instagram, and twitter accounts each year. This then takes away the time they spend on schoolwork, as social media can become very distracting. It also encourages online bullying. Many kids feel more comfortable behind the computer screen than they do face-to-face, which makes it easy for kids to bully others while online. There’s no doubt that social media is responsible for many of these problems.

The use of social media can be good and bad for society. It is a great way to share memories made with friends and family, and keep those who cannot be physically with you up to date on your life activities. It’s beyond helpful when it comes to communicating with people. However, it entices people to waste time. There are too many websites and social media accounts that consume much of people’s time each and every day. Social media also presents the perfect opportunity for too many kids to be bullied while using such accounts. Nevertheless, social media is a huge part of our society. The good and the bad of social media has had a huge impact on our society and it has become a part of our every day lives. We have to accept that there are benefits and disadvantages of social media, but it is ultimately the individual’s responsibility for making social media good or bad, so please use responsibly!