5 Simple And Beneficial Ways To Network On Campus
Career Development

5 Simple And Beneficial Ways To Network On Campus

Turn college life into a networking adventure!

66
Jakayla Toney

In college, it's not entirely easy for everyone to go up to a student and say, "Hey, I'm a photographer. Let's network," then expect to have them constantly helping you towards your next move careerwise. There are so many ways to network in college that will help you land either a job or start you towards building your brand.

1. Joining Clubs/Student Organizations

If you can find the time to join clubs, do it! There are many clubs and organization in college to get involved with. For example, some schools have writing clubs, film clubs, poetry clubs, fashion clubs, etc. In a room with a certain amount of people in a club or student organization discussing your interest and study, you sometimes tend to not only get a new perspective of what you're studying, but you'll also learn more about yourself. You'll learn new skills and how to work with a team with a passion as big as yours. It's super easy to lose passion for what you love in college for due to stress and the fact that you're studying some courses you don't even want to take. However, when you're with a group of people doing what you like a few days a week, it's easy to bounce back and focus on what your love to do while making new friends.

2. Social Networking

Not everyone likes to use social media, but believe it or not, keeping up with updates with your school can be essential. I highly recommend making use of this, especially if you want to network. Colleges are usually on top of things around campus. Follow your school emails, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter post. They'll let you know when they're hiring, looking for students in a specific field, needing students to promote, sharing student's stories, etc. I know some students who like to go on their school's IG/FB page and follow some of the students. It's worked for people, including myself. I would follow other students who listed what majors they were in the later message them and ask them if they would like to connect. It may sound weird to just follow and message any student, but it goes a long way.

3. School Events

Don't have time to join a club but have an extra hour before your next class? Go to an event! Colleges host many events for their students to attend. Go to one! You'll find yourself having fun and possibly meeting new people. You might meet someone who's studying in your field who had been looking for someone for a project. You may meet a photographer who needed models, or a director that needed actors, or a business person who needed brand ambassadors. Take advantage of these events. Majority of the time, you'll meet someone new.

4. Talk to your teachers

Believe it or not, this is actually one of my favorite tips to do. Professors are very good with their advice about college and when they know you're aiming for something, they won't hesitate to point you where you need to go. Some professors can even go as far as suggesting people you may want to talk to or places you need to go to find what you're looking for. For example, a professor knew I was struggling with acting because I didn't have experience so he recommended me to be in a small play to one of the directors. My major is English with a concentration in film, so I had an interest in acting. This helped me not only get the experience but also gave me the chance to network with directors and other actors for future collaborations.

5: Show off your Stuff!

Don't be afraid to show the world you got what it takes. Especially on campus, if you want to be out there then don't shy away from your art or creations. Create cards, websites, any kind of platform where students and others can find you and your work. People are fascinated when they know you have or are starting up a platform. There's no better time like now to build one!