25 Struggles All Servers Can Relate To
Career Development

25 Struggles All Servers Can Relate To

How much ranch are they going to eat?

646
25 Struggles All Servers Can Relate To

Being a server is the most difficult job I have ever held.

The service industry, as a whole, is a hard workforce to be a part of, but for the food service industry, that is especially true. When working in the food service industry, you are dealing with people when they are hungry, and we all know that "hungry" and "angry" often go hand in hand.

It takes a strong person to put up with everything that being a server entails, but once you become a server, it becomes part of who you are. If you have never been a server, then you wouldn't understand, because all servers seem to have this special connection to one another, no matter what type of restaurant they work in. If you have held a serving job before, you know exactly what I am talking about. We have one of the most difficult jobs in the customer service industry, yet for some crazy reason, we love it. Here are 25 things that all servers can relate to.

1. Receiving the ever-dreaded "verbal tip"

Thank you... but your compliments aren't going to pay my car insurance.

2. Asking your table how they are, and being answered with a drink order

Yes, ma'am, I'm feeling very Diet Coke today, too.

3. Showing up to work with 10 pens, and somehow leaving with three (two of which aren't yours)

Where did I go wrong?

4. When a customer asks you what is in the salad, even though the menu says exactly what is in the salad

Kindergarten is there for a reason.

5. When someone asks for more ranch for the 4th time

How about I just bring you the whole jug.

6. Being able to calculate exactly what 20% of any amount is in a matter of seconds

Jesus saw that tip you left.

7. When you are starving and the food you are running smells delicious

They won't notice just one missing fry, right?

8. Feeling like a bodybuilder after carrying two buckets of ice

Who needs the gym when the bev station is your sidework?

9. Trying to peek at your table, but making awkward eye contact with them from across the room

I hope they don't need anything because I am so not going over there now.

10. When there is a mistake or extra item made in the kitchen

I can't let good food just go to waste... ya know?

11. No longer having fingerprints because you have burned them off carrying hot plates

My hands have basically become oven mitts.

12. When you haven't been sat in a while, and you just sit there praying for a huge rush

No really, I love coming to work to just stand here and make $2.13 an hour.

13. Then having your prayers answered and being triple sat with multiple parties full of children

I must have dialed the wrong number while praying.

14. Having nightmares of being the only server with an open section during a dinner rush on a Friday night

You can never escape from work.

15. Never will you ever say "T.G.I.F."

Fridays for servers are like Mondays for the rest of the world.

16. When your party of 18 says "one check"

I love my life. It's amazing. I'm amazing. This job is amazing. Everything is amazing.

17. And when your party of 18 wants eight different checks and to have the appetizers split evenly among all of them

What did I do to deserve this?

18. The word "silverware" makes you cringe

Rolling silver is the bane of every server's existence.

19. Knowing that there are indeed such things as stupid questions

No ma'am...there is no meat in our veggie burger.

20. When a customer snaps their fingers at you to get your attention

If I didn't want a good tip, someone would be about to catch these hands.

21. When you find out your section is right next to your work best friend's section

Now we can spend all night laughing at the man at table 12

22. Your diet consists of crackers, kitchen mistakes, and stolen fries

For us servers, there are three main food groups...

23. When the restaurant closes at 11, and customers walk in at 10:58

I hope they know they're getting zero effort from me.

24. Constantly questioning throughout every shift why you keep this job

I think about walking out at least 7,549 times per shift.

25. But being reminded why you do keep this job while counting the giant wad of cash in your pocket at the end of the night

I love my job!

Special thanks to my fellow servers in Server Memes and Servers, Bartenders & All Restaurant Staff Unite for your input on things that all servers can relate to!