Beme: The New Snapchat?

Beme: The New Snapchat?

An interesting take on up-and-coming social media platform.

23
Beme: The New Snapchat?
Business Insider

Ever scroll through your newsfeed and begin rolling your eyes at the latest selfie of your best friend and her BAE? You resist the urge to call her out, yet you know this seemingly picture-perfect couple was in a major blowout last night, because you were there for her throughout every all-caps text and angry subtweet. How about the guy whose Instagram is full of shirtless mirror pic #TBTs, each photo a greater attempt to disconfirm his freshman 15 status. And we all have that one friend whose Snapchat story is essentially a photo shoot. They bop and sway to the music in their head, smiling at their iPhone, as if Annie Leibovitz herself was capturing the moment.

And like it or not, most of us are guilty of these acts, or similar.

Well, step aside Instagram and Snapchat, and hold your filters and geotags close, an honest type of social media is coming through. Meet Beme.

Beme is a video-sharing platform where posts are four-seconds long and shared instantaneously, without the ability to be saved. Think of it as Vine meets Snapchat.

Here's the catch (actually, there are a few catches!):

First and foremost, you must cover your "selfie" camera in order to take video footage. Meaning, most videos are taken with the phone being held toward the chest, covering up the screen (as pictured below). Or, if you are trying to take a video of yourself, the camera is facing you while the screen is held up against a sturdy structure, such as a wall or shelf.

Secondly, when I say videos are shared instantaneously, I mean right away. No previews, no take-twos and especially no filters.

And lastly, you can't just click "download" from the App Store and become an overnight Beme sensation. You must be invited to join the app. There are access codes, thousands released weekly to current Beme users, that allow new accounts to be created.

Aside from these three major, game-changing features, there are minor Beme quirks, such as: no direct video-messaging, an ad-free experience and "reactions" which are selfies taken at the same time when viewing someone's Beme. These are then sent to whoever shared the video.

So, who is the mastermind behind this latest social media creation? What was his or her motivation? And most of all, will it last?

If you don't know who Casey Neistat is, don't worry, neither did I. But after hearing about him, and his app from my friend, John, I looked him up, and boy, was I missing out (check out this video of his which got me hooked). Neistat, age 34, is a filmmaker, entrepreneur and most famously known for his wildly popular YouTube channel. The tip of the iceberg as far as creative outlets go, Beme has been his project for nearly two years and was just released on July 17, 2015. Matt Hackett, former Vice President of Tumblr's engineering division, is also credited with its launch.

As Neistat said in Beme's introductory video, the app was created to "bridge the uncanny valley [between real life and social media]." Neistat is not the first person to recognize how staged our digital lives are. It's a growing topic, and the results of having such calculated personalities and relationships online are being hotly debated. The difference is, Neistat is not just bringing conversation to the table, he is bringing change.

So far, reaction to the app has been varied. Granted, like any other technology, it is still in its infancy stage, and there are bound to be technical difficulties, of which Beme has already had its fair share. It may seem annoying needing an access code to use Beme; however, seeing how the platform has already crashed due to a large number of users, for now it may be a blessing in disguise. Additionally, video quality has been sub-par, which begs the question if the direct upload is actually too fast.

Business critics are wary about how the app will stay alive (that is, make money) considering there are no advertisements within the app itself. Neistat surely has enough of a following, and subsequently, a bank account to support this project currently, but what will maintenance mean six months, a year or two years from now?

One unique reaction which has generated a lot of buzz is that of Casey Johnston, a female blogger who wrote, "I tried the Beme beta. It’s not as simple as 'pressing the phone to your chest,' since my chest, like that of many women, is not flat." She argues the app is created only with men in mind, and women get the short end of the stick with fewer options for preferred video perspective.

The main critique concerns the unfiltered nature of the app. While Neistat's crusade for a more honest form of social media is something to applaud, will it actually work? We are used to our filtered digital lives. They are fun, entertaining and allow for great self-expression. They allow us to put our best foot forward. And, as Wired's Kyle Vanhemert pointed out, "Neistat is an interesting dude who lives an interesting life. He’s certainly more interesting than I am ... If we were all Casey Neistat, Beme would be a slam dunk. Unfortunately, we’re not."

This seems to be the shared sentiment among my high school and college-aged peers, Beme's target group. I polled a few of my avid Snapchat-using friends, and most of them were confused when I explained Beme's four-second, no editing platform. While most agreed with my best friend, Hannah, that Snapchat is indeed "distracting ... taking away from the moment just to take a good picture," Beme's structure is simply not creative enough to be attractive. The storytelling capabilities of Snapchat, clad with stickers, geotags, drawings and filters is just an overall more appetizing experience. Beme's four-second time limit has the capability of becoming the next Vine, a place where comedians and artists can test their talents within a short timeframe, but it is no place for the common folk wishing to show off the details of their latest vacation.

On top of that, Beme's access code feature, while creating a curious exclusivity, may be doing more harm than good. People love a mystery. They love to be part of a club. But when there are 1.5 million other apps out there, what makes Beme the one to wait for?

Neistat's idea is no doubt innovative, and I hope it opens the door for a whole new type of social media. We're well enough into the Information Age to begin looking at the ramifications of our online lifestyles. It's safe to say people are becoming annoyed with the overall shallow and staged undertones of our current social sites.

But, I wouldn't remove Snapchat from your phone just yet.