Belonging to a Large Greek Family

Belonging to a Large Greek Family

There's mostly good to be had in belonging to a large Greek family. But it isn't always easy.

9
Belonging to a Large Greek Family

Recruitment is always a special and exciting time, but this past spring recruitment was extra important to me.

I knew that one of girls in this newest pledge class would be my little. Never did it even cross my mind that I could end up having two of them.

As Greek life at Ohio State grows each year, so do the pledge classes. Larger pledge classes means more girls who need a big, thus slowly increasing the amount of twins. 

Before last spring recruitment, I already had a rather large Greek family. The hierarchy is confusing and no one really understands it besides the people in it. Explaining it to people usually involves a diagram of some sort. Basically, my great grand big took three littles all from different pledge classes who then got their own littles. 

When I joined my Greek family there were eight of us in it as active members. With the newest pledge class, our number went up to 12 since one member graduated and we had two sets of twins. On big little reveal - after the screams of joy and happiness subsided - our family attempted to take a family picture. After several attempts at lining up in hierarchy order and switching to a room big enough to hold us all, we finally made it happen. 

Taking family pictures is downright near impossible, but we've managed to take a few. The best part of having a large family means you have more people to help you figure out Greek life. When I got my Greek family, I instantly had them begging to help me with anything I possibly needed - whether it was ride to the house or what spirit wear to order. They even filled me in on where the secret fridge is in the house. When it came time to take a little the old members helped me craft, helping me make things I never thought I had the creative ability to make.

But while I love every person in my family, there are some downsides. For example, when I'm sitting in class and our family group message blows up about going to Graeters or watching a movie. It's impossible to not get serious FOMO at the fact that my family is hanging out without me.

Yet all in all, having such an amazing Greek family has made my sorority experience that much more incredible. Even if it means struggling to find a room in our house big enough for a family photo.