Believe It Or Not: You Can Form Friendships In A CUNY

You can make friends for life in a CUNY WITHOUT joining a fraternity or sorority.

332
Google

When I was in high school it was said that you can only make friends for life in college through joining a sorority or by going away to school. So walking into John Jay College of Criminal Justice, I did not expect to form solid friendships. I expected to form acquaintances where we would just text each other occasionally for homework or study together during midterms. I was blown away in finding that I actually formed close friendships and bonds with my "classroom friends."

What is even crazier is the fact that I only knew these people for a couple semesters, but they care and are actually there for me in a time of need. Did I meet them through a sorority? No. Did I meet them while dorming? No. I met them by engaging in useless conversations and the useless conversations ranging from complaining about grades and professors turned into the formation of meaningful bonds.I have met people who I disliked at first and then became close friends with. I met people that initially were just for class use, but by opening up to them it drew us closer. I met people by randomly sitting next to them one day and through doing group work finding out that we actually have a lot of things in common.

Truthfully, I did not expect to form any friendships with people in a CUNY. This was all because of the negative notion that you cannot make friends in a CUNY. It is because of the pointless rumors that everyone in CUNYs keep to themselves and only come to study and leave after. Okay now, this is true. I used to be that person freshman semester, but slowly I started changing. I am still a quiet person who keeps to herself, but if I see someone who I can bond with, then I start the conversations and see where things go from there.

The point of this article is that you can make friends in CUNYs. You can form solid friendships with the stranger who started talking to you by a classroom door (shoutout to Kelly). You can find your spiritual mentor (shoutout to Shayna). And you can find people who will always listen to you rant (no shoutout needed you know who you are). All in all, I appreciate every single person that influences my life each day. I appreciate you guys for making an effort to make sure I doing okay emotionally and mentally. And most importantly I am beyond thankful that we meet in John Jay because you guys make my life a little less miserable.

For any incoming freshman or transfer students to a CUNY, do not worry you will be able to make friends. Just know that random girl you see in two of your classes or that random dude who you always bump into on your way to class can be your next best friend.