I believe in mental health awareness
Health Wellness

I Believe In Mental Health Awareness

... and how important it actually is.

195
I Believe In Mental Health Awareness
https://weheartit.com/articles/329618520-suicide

I know that it seems to be a reoccurring theme, but mental health awareness is one of the most important things to me. Mental health will continue to be featured in my articles, unapologetically.

I believe in Mental Health awareness. Mental illness exists and is often times uncontrollable. I believe illnesses caused by a chemical imbalance of the brain should be taken seriously as a physical illness or an injury as serious as a broken bone. Mental illness is not a made-up concept and is in fact real, despite what certain sources say. Mental health is so often times tossed around so lightly. I believe mental illness is not a joke. I do not just believe, I know first-hand that illness such as anxiety, depression, or anorexia is very difficult to overcome. I believe that if more people supported those who are enduring, mental illness could be less painful. How is someone supposed to "just feel happier" if the friends, family, and society in someone's life are opposed to believing what they are suffering from exists? Many people have yet to understand how affected a person can actually become from mental illness and how difficult it can be to recover from one, much less a few. Mental illness consists of a wide range of mental health conditions. These disorders can affect your mood, thinking, as well as behavior.

I believe that issues regarding mental health and illness need to be looked at in a more critical light. Over forty-two million Americans each year are diagnosed with a mental illness. That is equivalent to one in five Americans. With such a big number of people suffering, why are these illnesses treated as though they are made up out of thin air? I believe we need to stop stigmatizing mental health and open our eyes.

We should try to help affected people find the best help to start a trip of recovery before it is too late. If we, as a community, came together to help fight against mental illness we could save hundreds, if not thousands of lives every year. I believe instead of judging someone for their mental illness make them feel loved and accepted. Give them hope that everything is going to be ok. Give them the support and help they need.Mental health disorders are created by chemical imbalances in the brain, and they usually require medication and therapy much like regular physical health problems. Mental health disorders are not made up for attention. In my experience, if someone is reaching out for help with their illness, they are really in need of help. They are not looking for pity or attention; they are looking for support and help to recovery.

This past year I personally have had to experience mental illness and struggles that come along with it. Depression and anxiety have tried to morph me into a different person, a weaker person. A more vulnerable person who feels as though she is an inconvenience. I believe and know that mental illness can develop physical side effects. Panic attacks change someone, and they cannot control who they are at that moment. It is very difficult to change and move past a mental health disorder. An imbalance in the brain is not a choice and is not something desired amongst people. I believe in mental health awareness with accurate portrayals of how real mental illnesses are.