What It's Like Being a Psychology Student

Psychology is not as simple as you may think it is.

1087
Google Images

I am sure most of you, if you are in college or have previously been in college, have been questioned about your major of study. If not, then you are one of the lucky ones. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy being a psychology major student, so many people have questioned my major and its level of difficulty in the past. So, today I wanted to talk about what it is ACTUALLY like being an undergraduate psychology student since I can probably give you more accurate information than you get from other sources.

Fortunately enough for me, I started out in college as a psychology major and have stuck with it throughout, unlike most people. Of course, I went back and forth between majors before actually selecting one, but psychology seemed the most intriguing and appropriate for me and for occupational purposes.

Typically, when I tell people I am a psychology major student, they automatically assume that every class I take and everything related to the subject is so easy compared to other majors. Let me just tell you right now, that is actually very false. Sure, if you take general psychology then you may think that psychology is easy, but people don't realize that there is more involved than just the basics about the brain.

Psychology encompasses how people's brains work and how that ultimately affects their behaviors as a result. There are so many aspects to psychology, so when someone who knows nothing about the major tries to tell me that it is easy, it can be a little frustrating to deal with.

I have taken classes that focus on the research side of psychology, which involves doing extensive research and conducting studies to support hypotheses. Other classes have focused on the more clinical side of psychology, which encompasses mental illnesses and disorders. There is a wide range of subject areas that fall under the psychology perspective.

One of my favorites is when people assume that I can read their minds because I am a psychology major. That joke has been so overplayed, so don't expect a laugh from anyone who is a psychology student because it really isn't funny and I can guarantee someone has heard that a time or two.

So, the next time you encounter someone who is studying psychology in college, you may want to rethink your ideas before making any comments. Every major in college has its difficulties, regardless if you agree or not. Just because someone might major in art or photography does not mean it is not as difficult as someone majoring in biology or engineering.

Psychology, itself, is very interesting and a subject that I am glad I decided to pursue, but it is not any easier than any other undergraduate major that is out there. Hard work and dedication are always required, and it pays off in the end.