5 Things You'll Relate To If You're The 'Mom' Or 'Dad' Of Your Friend Group

It's a thankless job, but someone has to do it.

13

Whether you're the oldest or youngest in the group, it doesn't matter. The only thing you need to qualify as the parent of the group is a sense of responsibility. You can usually spot this person with their friends because they're the ones who are the loudest and most active within the group. It's not the most fun title to uphold as a teen/young adult, but it's a very humbling one. Here are a few things you might relate to if your friends consider you the mother hen.

1. You're not always there to have fun.

live.staticflickr.com

When you're supposed to be the voice of reason in the group, going out can be a bit of a bummer. Rather than letting loose at the party, you're keeping track of how many drinks Lucy has had. Many times you have to step back from the fun and be the parent chaperone. You leave the house with the intention to be the life of the party but leave the party as the DD. Although it can be a heavy role to play, know you are a crucial part of the dynamic of your friend group.

2. You find yourself organizing hangouts more often than not.

live.staticflickr.com

It's like a mom trying to plan her daughter's 13th birthday sleepover; you don't get much help or praise, but it's expected. It's not uncommon for you to be the center of operations when it comes to getting the gang together. If this were 'Scooby-Doo' you'd definitely be Freddy in the group chat. Like many parents, you love seeing people together and having fun, so you tend to be the one to take initiative when the group wants to get together for an 'Office' marathon.

3. You have a hard time sharing your friends.

live.staticflickr.com

Labeling this as possessive would be a little overdramatic, but you do feel uneasy when you see members of the group stray away. Mother hen wants to keep all her ducks in a row, so it's completely understandable. You want your friends to meet other people and have different experiences, but in the back of your head, you fear that they might not come back to the nest. If this point hits hard for you, just understand that if they're truly a good friend and appreciate all your effort, they won't forget about you so easily.

4. You always have to take pictures.

live.staticflickr.com

But first, a selfie! Is your camera roll full of group photos or photos of random moments during the last hangout session? You love capturing the moments of joy to feel nostalgic about later; however, some people might mistake this for you being too into your phone. Well, your friends are kinda like your kids, so you need to have pictures in order to show them off, right? You could take the hardcore parent route and go as far as making scrapbooks with all the pictures (it'll also help free up phone storage).

5. You understand your importance.

corprensa-mi-diario-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com

Through the good and bad, thick and thin, deep down you know what you mean to all your friends. As burdensome as it gets, you are a key factor in the safety and well-being of the group. As the saying goes, you're the glue that holds everything together. Feel good about being that person for a bunch of people, that takes a lot of willpower and responsibility.