Being The Only Girl In The Family

Being The Only Girl In The Family

It actually comes in handy.

4042
Being The Only Girl In The Family
Unsplash

Even though I was the middle child, being the only girl gave me perks that most middle children miss out on.

I grew up in a house with an older brother and two younger brothers. Nonetheless, it was always pretty hectic in my home. There were a lot of times that I was felt like more of an afterthought than a priority. That was due to my older brother always needing so much attention with his behavioral issues and of course having a newborn didn't make things any easier for my parents. I was definitely the kid that helped most though. Being the only girl, my mom always looked to me for extra help and hands.

Being the only girl also means that I am a huge daddy's girl. I have definitely always been my father's daughter. I have always been very close with my dad and he has always done everything he can to give me whatever I wanted. However, he has also taught me lessons about life that my mom couldn't or give me advice about things that no one could explain better than him. He's taught me the importance of budgeting and saving money. He's taught me to work hard in life and take care of myself. I got my drive and great work ethic from him and I could not be happier about that.

Growing up as the only girl, I would always get a little more on Christmas than my brothers (shhh), a lot of the times it was because I was the only granddaughter in the family for the majority of my life. Everyone loved being able to spend time with me one-on-one when they got the chance because it was always a nice break from rowdy boys. Every man in my family always felt a little more protective over me when it came to boys or just me going out. Even my little brothers, now that they're older, will try to do and say little things that show they are trying to stick up for me. Being the only girl meant that any guy I ever brought around my family needed to be prepared in advance for their extensive list of questions.

Being the only girl meant I was held to a little bit of higher expectations. Partially because I was a responsible kid and a good one, and partially because I was the girl of the family. I was also looked up to a lot by my little brothers, I still am.

I was raised as a role model to my younger siblings and often times, even my older brother. Being the only girl gave me a lot of "mommy" duties when it came to helping my parents out with the little ones. I loved it honestly. It's given practice toward raising my own kids in the future and it's made really appreciate my brothers. Being the only girl and the middle child meant I got away a with things a lot *evil laugh*.

And yes, being the only girl, I was spoiled and yes, I was a brat about it when I was younger. But, being the only girl my whole life has also taught me a lot od great lessons and has helped me become the person I am today. I've learned responsibilities that most people my age now and growing up, didn't have to. I've learned to become very independent because of them and I have been able to support myself. And no, I'm the stereotype most people put with only girls or children. No, I'm not a spoiled rotten brat and expect everything handed to me; I was raised to work for what I want. No, I'm not mean or rude to people when things don't go my way or they don't give me what I want.

Though I'm not the only granddaughter or niece in the family anymore, I will always be the only sister among my siblings. And want everyone to know that it's not a bad thing to be the only girl or an only child and that we aren't selfish, spoiled little brats.