How To Avoid Getting Screened By The TSA

Picture this: you are on your way to a vacation. A tropical island, another state, another country, or elsewhere other than home. Packing is fairly easy, getting to the airport is not so bad, but once inside and you have checked in, the worst part of the journey comes up... airport security. Lining up behind many other people trying to get to similar places as you, as well as dreading the security scan and step through screening. Frustrated with being stopped often for extra security checks? This may help to explain the issue.

1. Wear Clothes That Look Like You Can't Hide Much

Despite people saying, "wear what you feel most comfortable in," take a second consideration about what you wear to an airport. Often times, people who get stopped or pulled aside for extra checks are people who wear clothing that security may think can "hide" items within. For example, floor-length skirts, multiple layers of clothing and so on. Some alternatives can be bringing an extra outfit in a carry on to change into after security or wear a simple pair of jeans and a tee-shirt.

2. Carry Small Bags, If You Need One At All

When a security guard or personnel's eye is caught by a large bag or suspicious bag, it might cause them to raise an eyebrow. Extra security checks may be in order due to being overly cautious and to prevent a serious situation from arising.

3. Random Selection Can Be Unavoidable

Airport Security is something everyone dreads most of the time. Every few hundred or thousand people, someone will randomly be selected to get screened, and extra security check. In this instance, it is almost unavoidable or very hard to know if you will be that one selected person.

4. Flying To Places Deemed "Unusual" or "High Risk"

Many airlines have hundreds and thousands of places people can fly to all over the world and within a country. When someone is seen flying to countries deemed "high risk" or "unusual" to visit, might automatically raise concern for those in security, causing you to be stopped, asked questions and searched.

5. If Your Pass Has SSSS

If your airline/ flight ticket has SSSS on it, you will be guaranteed to get stopped by security. SSSS stands for Secondary Security Screening Selection. This abbreviation will appear on "a passenger's boarding pass when they've been selected by TSA's Secure Flight system for enhanced security screening." It is to enhance the TSA security screening process. On average, it may take an extra 10 to 30 minutes of time.

No matter who you ask or talk to, in their lifetime, if they have ever traveled by airplane, will eventually be stopped by airport security. Unfortunately, it is almost unavoidable at some point, but it is better to know what to expect.