Being Snap Best friends, isn't the start to a Relationship

What has happened to old school romance?

786

“He opened my snapchat over twenty minutes ago”

“He followed me on Insta and liked pictures from over a month ago”

"Should I turn my reads on?"

Its phrases like these that have sparked a generation of online interest, no longer is their conversation between two people that spark relationships. The development of a first date has turned into weeks of online communication with hidden messages within a like and retweet. Say goodbye to being physically asked on a date and hello to “ wanna hang”.

No longer is their healthy developmental stages of relationships because most of them are through technology. Love letters are written in paragraph long Insta posts for the whole world to see, relationship clarifications are done over Facebook, and no one wants to be the dreaded “its complicated”, disagreements go from two individuals to an entire world knowing your problems and having no problem giving their opinions on them.

I’ve sat with my friends for hours talking about how he “ read the text an hour ago” analyzing why it is taking him so long to answer. The thing we often forget that constant communication with someone doesn't make a relationship greater then another.

The millennial generation has created a new version of dating, flowers are replaced with snapchats, late night calls are replaced with one line texts and declarations of love through letters are replaced with paragraph Instagram posts. Don't get me wrong, at least theres some type of show of affection, but it isn't done the traditional way for most millennial couples. I would take a hand written letter over a text any day. Technology has made romance something you don't even have to think about because its too easy. Romance isn't suppose to be something quick, its suppose to take thought and possibly time. Being in love with someone and wanting to show the whole world is one thing, but having a relationship that feels the need to expose their love is because of technology.

Wouldn't you rather someone take 5 minutes out of their day to pick up the phone and say hello? rather then “Hey” text.

The point is, a lot of great relationships have started because of simple act of bravery, Stop hiding behind a screen. Go out and if you see someone strike up a conversation. Don’t wait till you go home to try and find him on Instagram, because thats a missed opportunity that you could have started something beautiful.

Hiding behind a screen, may be great for some. But if you want to fall in love and start a relationship you have to take a chance, and PUT DOWN THE PHONE. Be involved in each others lives, and don't overthink if your snap was opened an hour ago, or read your text.

Just take a chance, step back from your phone and say hello, thats the start of a relationship. Having a snap streak for 20 days isn't.