Being Single Is Great, But Being In Love Is Better

It's not being in love that makes me happy. It's the person that I become when I am in love that makes me happy.

13
Hear Stapps

I have heard time and time again that dating in college is a mistake. "You're missing so many college experiences because you have a boyfriend." Now, I understand what they are saying, but I disagree. There are so many things I would be missing out on if I didn't have him in my life.

People say college is a time to let loose, a time go out and make lifelong memories. Why do I have to be single to make these "lifelong memories?"

Don't get me wrong, being single was fun. You meet lots of people and talk to lots of boys. All that's great, but honestly, why does it matter in the long run? It's not like I'm going to see/talk to these guys again when they're sober. I met some trashed guys my freshman year who probably don't even remember my face when I passed them on campus the next morning. It gets kinda old.

Being single is great, but being in love is better.

Being in love means you have someone you can ALWAYS rely on. When I was single, boys were really unreliable and kind of flaky because they have no reason to keep their promises. They're single too and probably in that "out of cuffing season" phase. It really sucked when I'd get a text being like "hey I can't meet you at that party tonight. I got stuff going on." SKETCHY!

Being in love means that you have someone you can always be yourself with. When you're single and you go out on first dates and start flirting with boys, it takes a while to warm up to most of 'em. You have to keep your guard up so they can't hurt you. With a boyfriend, it's too late. He's in too deep. He's gotta accept you for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Being in love means you always have someone watching out for you. You're their first priority. When I was single, my friends would do the best they could to take care of me, but when the club got too busy or the party got too wild, I'd lose them. Then it'd be me.... alone. With a boyfriend, he's checking up on me to make sure I'm having fun but that I'm also safe and sound. If I had lost my friends he would already be on the way to pick me up.

Being in love means you have someone who absolutely ADORES you. You have someone who always tells you that you look gorgeous, or don't need makeup, or don't need to change a thing about yourself. It means you have someone that makes you feel good about yourself. When you're single, you may have some guys you've rejected that just want to hurt you right back. "Well that's fine you're fat anyway." "Well, at least I'm not a 2." Words hurt! That never happens when you're in love!

Being in love is amazing because it makes you a better person. It makes you more compassionate and loving towards others. It makes you more about giving and less about taking. Being in love makes you want to do greater things and achieve tougher challenges. It makes you feel powerful and successful!

So, being single is great. You have fun with your friends and meet all sorts of cute boys. At some point though, it gets old. You want something more. That's why being in love is so much better.