Being A Silent Strength

Being A Silent Strength

Actions speak louder than words.

45
Being A Silent Strength
Matthias Zomer

When I was eight years old, a little boy came up to me on the playground and told me I was ugly.

When I was in the fifth grade, a peer told me I was too short and weird to be an actress.

When I was in high school, I was told that majoring in theatre was a waste of money and was stupid.

These are moments in my life that have left an impact on my life in a positive and negative way. The people who have said these things to me probably don't even remember ever saying it, but I remember specifically when, where, and who. These are very real and vivid memories for me. I'll look back at them sometimes when I feel like I can't accomplish anything or that life isn't going the way it should, but I remember one important thing: I have triumphed over this.

J.K. Rowling wrote "It is our choices... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." For me, this means that no matter what anyone says or does to you, how you react to it defines more of who you are than the person who affected you. I could've easily told these people who said these things to me that they were ugly, stupid, or wrong; but I didn't. Instead, I just shrugged it off, laughed, or walked away. A lot of people would have probably told me that I should've stood up for myself and said something, but what good would that do? For me, standing up for myself is simply just proving these people wrong.

Today, I am comfortable in my own skin. I am going to school for theatre. I am not ashamed of my major and have the support of my family and friends in the decision of following my aspirations and dreams. Isn’t this a big enough come back?

I feel that in today’s society we are all judged more harshly than ever. Hate is spread more easily by hiding behind a computer or phone screen. This gives us more of the ability to speak our minds more freely, not worrying about the repercussions of our words, or worrying about having to confront these people in real life. This makes everything so much harder when proving these people wrong, but honestly, why should that matter?

If you are happy with yourself, your life, your choices, and the positive people who surround you, nothing else should matter.

Of course, we’re all sensitive to what other people think of us. We want others to see all the amazing things we see in ourselves and we all want to be liked. However, I’ve learned that we shouldn’t let one person’s opinion on us ruin our entire outlook on who we believe we are. It’s ok to feel hurt and it’s ok to cry. What’s not ok is believing that what these people have to say is true. If you believe in yourself and are truly happy with your life, that’s all that counts.

It's also important to acknowledge that these negative people probably have their own issues they're dealing with. They probably have low self-esteem and can only cope with their feelings by putting other people down. This should give you the opportunity to help them out.

Luke 6:31 says "Do to others as you would have them do to you." The best way of spreading more positivity and love is through being the change you want to see in the world. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Actions speak louder than words and by spreading actions like proving people wrong, accepting others for their quirks and flaws, or being a friend to someone in need we can all do our part in making the change we want to see.