Being a Pentecostal woman
Religion

Being a Pentecostal woman

Being an Apostolic Pentecostal woman in today's society

1464
Being a Pentecostal woman

Being Apostolic Pentecostal in today's society is different, to say the least. In June I made the biggest decision I could ever make in my entire life, becoming Apostolic. And a few things I have noticed since doing so has really made me grow in my faith. Meeting someone who is not Pentecostal is usually a challenge personally because they all ask the same questions. and they tend to go like this:

1. So you don't cut your hair, so you must trim it right?

No I do not cut my hair, and no I do not trim it either. Most people seem to think by not cutting my hair I mean just not drastically changing it, no I mean a pair of scissors do not come close to my precious hair. But another thing that people tend to ask along with this is, why? Where in the Bible does God say to not cut your hair? 1 Corinthians 11: 15: "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." Long hair–to us–represents glory. It's our protection. It also shows that we are in submission to our husbands, and it is for the glory of God. Personally, my hair is sacred to me, it is something that I believe gives me a deeper connection, not only with God, but myself as well.

2. Since you wear skirts ALL THE TIME *you have to add the dramatic sigh* do you sleep in skirts?

For some reason most people, not all, but most think that Pentecostals eat, sleep, and breathe skirts. And don't get me wrong I LOVE my skirts, but it is almost like wearing jeans to some people. But, the preference on if you sleep in skirts or not depends on the woman. By saying this, I mean, I personally do not wear skirts to sleep but I wear Nike shorts; BUT some women wear gowns and some wear sleep skirts. It all just depends on the woman and what she is comfortable in.

3. Speaking in tongue's is not real.

Okay, every time someone asks me about this I want to cry with laughter, but I see where they are coming from. Speaking in tongue is not only for the believers, but it is for the unbelievers as well. Saying this, speaking in tongue is a gift from God; God puts His spirit inside of you and you have to express it somehow and that is how speaking in tongues develops. I say that it is the Gift of The Holy Ghost, which it is. Speaking in tongue can be fake, but when it is other Pentecostals notice. Since I have gotten in the Pentecostal church speaking in tongue was real, it wasn't something that we just decided to say. In order to receive the Gift of The Holy Ghost you have to talk to God, you cannot speak to God aloud then He cannot use you. This is a blessing and is not something that someone should just fake, it is a gift. You have to witness it yourself in order to get the full effect of what I am talking about.

4. Since you're Pentecostal you can't have social media

For some reason, everyone finds it shocking that I have social media. WE ARE STILL PEOPLE, and some of us have social media. Not everyone that is Pentecostal has a social media account/accounts, this is personal reasons. Some church's do stress not having one because sometimes we, as humans, get caught up in the things around us it tends to stray us away from what matters. In this case, some church's believe that having a social media account will blind you of what God is calling you to do, or will make you more of this world.

5. Your parents must be Pentecostal if you are

This one gets me every time, I am first-generation Apostolic Pentecostal. To me this is a blessing, but sometimes it discourages me because of how my other family members look at me. Most Pentecostal's grew up in the church, but now there are a lot more that are first-generation and maybe second-generation. I told my parents I wanted to start wearing skirts and go to an Apostolic Church and they did not know what to think. They were more understanding because in Lower Alabama there are a bit of Apostolic's, and some were and are related to us. But, no, just because I am Pentecostal does not make my parents. My parents are very supportive of my decision and come to some church services to show their support, but they are not the same denomination.

6. PENTECOSTAL IS A DENOMINATION, NOT A RELIGIONS

So many times I get asked, "When did you switch religions?" WHAT? No mam, I am still Christian I am just a different denomination than I was when I was younger. I cannot stress this enough, it is a denomination not a religion.

7. ASK TO TOUCH OUR HAIR

Most of us do not mind if you touch our hair, but PLEASE ask us first!!!!! So many times people are too amazed to even think of asking, but still it is out of respect that you ask. Over half of us would probably say yes, and some people are probably wondering 'If you're going to say yes, then why do we have to ask?' When someone comes up to us to ask about our hair, their automatic motion is to touch our hair this aggravates us because we are taken off guard by the forwardness. SO PLEASE ASK before you reach out and touch it.

These are just a few of the MANY questions we get asked, pretty much on a daily basis. We love everyone and will answer any questions you may have, but please don't ask dumb questions you already know the answers to. And if you see one of us on the street do not stare, please, we are regular women and men we will not yell at you or anything if you talk to us. But this is around an hour of being in the mall with a Pentecostal woman, there are SO many more questions asked and statements made but these are the main ones.