Being An Only Child

Being An Only Child

The real life of an only child.

70
Being An Only Child
My Life As An Only Child

I am often asked about what it's like to be an only child. Hopefully this will clear up any misconceptions about only children and answer questions.

When I was little, I didn't necessarily always like being an only child, but I grew to love it. Yes, I didn't always have siblings to play with but I always had my parents' and grandparents' undivided attention. I also had cousins, which was great! They are like siblings but they go home at the end of the day so you never get tired of them or fight with them over stupid things.

I always got to go where I wanted because my parents didn't need to balance multiple schedules. I never went through the hand-me-down phase and always had my own toys.

When I got older, it got slightly different not having siblings, when it meant all eyes are always on you. Luckily I never had the urge to break the rules, so that didn't effect me. I was not spoiled because I was an only child. Don't get me wrong, I have had a very great life, but it was because I had a great family by my side. I do not lack social skills and I know how to share. I have a lot of friends some with siblings and some without, so I know how to handle myself in most situations.

The best part about it is you get to pick your own siblings in a way. I have really close friends whom I consider family, and I'll never actually be alone. Plus only children tend to gravitate towards each other so most of my friends have similar situations. We all grow together and are like siblings at times!

I wouldn't change being an only child for the world. Just like if I had siblings, I wouldn't trade them for the world. It's just part of who you are and life as you know it.