Being The Oldest Sibling Means...

Being The Oldest Sibling Means...

Being the oldest kid means you get to have big sister or big brother moments.

3290
Being The Oldest Sibling Means...
Robert Carpenter

I love being the oldest kid in my family. There are the few things that I hated about it but in general being the oldest kid is such a rewarding experience. Your younger siblings may get privileges that you had to work hard for given to them and they may get more attention sometimes but you know deep down, you wouldn't want it any other way.

Being the oldest kid means you get to have big sister or big brother moments. There isn't anything better than celebrating the accomplishments of your younger siblings. Whether it's sitting and watching them perform onstage or cheering them on from the sidelines there are numerous occasions for you to be there for them. It means helping them get ready for the big occasions like homecoming or dates because you wished you had someone to do that for you. It means being one of their biggest cheerleaders.

Being the oldest kid means having more independence and freedom. It may not have been this way when you were 10 but as you got older and matured your parents saw that they could leave you in charge of your younger siblings without worry. This means you got your license right at 16 and maybe you didn't have a curfew because your parents knew they could trust you.

Being the oldest kid means you have people that look up to you. Whether it be your younger siblings or cousins that you see a few times a year, the chances of you being a role model are pretty high. Younger kids pick up on what they see and if you set a good example, they'll likely follow your lead. It may also lead to a pretty annoying hero worship but it's pretty cool knowing you've influenced so many younger kids in your life.

Being the oldest means you have a special relationship with your parents. As the oldest, you start learning the family secrets sooner and your parents give you an undeniable trust. It also means you get to sit with the adults during the holiday family dinners — unless, of course, you want to sit at the kids' table because it's pretty fun.

I wouldn't want to be the middle or the youngest child. It may suck sometimes seeing your younger siblings get the same privileges as you at a younger age or at the same time but watching your younger siblings mature and grow up is such a rewarding experience.