Being Obsessive Is A Good Thing

Being Obsessive Is A Good Thing

These are just a few reasons why being an obsessive fan is good.

60
Being Obsessive Is A Good Thing

Many people know me as an obsessive fan of many things. I am. I totally am. I am passionate about what I love and most times what I love happens to be fictional. That's right, I am one of those people who obsess over things like film, television, books, and all the characters involved. Some people I have met too are also obsessive, but most of the time other people sort of shrug off my obsessive nature. They don't "get it" I think. They think it's silly that I dedicate time and energy to learning about fictional people and worlds. They also think they can correct me on facts about the things I love and let me tell you, they are SO wrong. What I want to do now is give a list of good things that come with being obsessive about the likes of film, television, books and fictional characters.

1. Being obsessed makes shopping easier for others.
-Not everyone knows what to get people for holidays or birthdays. Shopping for an obsessive person though is easy. If they talk and talk and talk about a film, tv show, book or character shopping is suddenly a cakewalk. What I am trying to say here is that if you (reader) are obsessed with anything and afraid to show it, don't be. Go bananas about what you love. It's a big help for friends and family who have no idea what to get you for holidays or your birthday.

2. When you're obsessed, you can find someone else who is as well.
-This is very true. Being a passionate fan can lead to friendship with other like-minded people. That means more people to talk about your thing with! Believe when I say that that is such a great thing to have. It's very hard to talk to people about a show when they have no context. It's hard to talk to people in general if there's no common ground. Mentioning a film, tv show, or a book in conversation usually leads to some common ground and eventually friendship. At the same time it is possible to be friends with people who you have NOTHING in common with. I can think of one particular friend of mine who fits that.

3. Obsessive passion means you've got tons of trivia up your sleeve.
-Believe me when I say I have tons of trivia knowledge. That's because I get fixated and tend to make it my mission to know EVERYTHING about whatever it is I love. I have a list of what I love and have a bunch of trivia to go with it all. For instance, did you know that the film Sherlock Holmes (2009) takes its opening shot of Baker Street from the Granada Sherlock Holmes tv series (1984-1994)? Sherlock Holmes was one of my first things I fixated on.

4. Some things you obsess over can come in handy in class.
-I actually had this happen to me in my Gothic Literature class. I had to read a few things that I had seen films of. I know films are not always accurate when they adapt texts, but I had context for most of the readings. Or even when I was in high school I had this happen to me. I am an Anglophile, and I mean a huge one. That came in handy when teachers would ask questions about England for certain parts of class. I know in my AP English Lit class that happened. It had to do with Westminster Abbey. Then there was the time where because I was obsessed with Peter Cushing (I still am too, but it started in high school). Cushing starred in a 1954 version of a filmed version of 1984 and I read 1984 outside of class as a result. In class we read Brave New World which is along a similar vein. My teacher actually had me bring it up in discussion of the latter novel. Safe to say there were crickets during that discussion when I brought up 1984.

5. Being obsessed allows people to identify you.
-In the past I have had multiple people say to me "I thought of you when..." and it's a great feeling. This person, who although I am not particularly close to, knows that I love something and associates it with me. When they see it they think of me. The reverse happens also to me. I will see something and someone I know will come to mind. When I tell them I thought of them they react the same way I do. I feel a bit touched. This person thought of me because of something I love. They KNOW I love that thing. It's like being validated and that my feelings are validated. It's a wonderful feeling.

So like I said, I am obsessed with fictional things. I love them with a burning passion and it makes me happy. Other people might not get it, or understand how I can spend hours writing about or thinking about film, television, books, and fictional characters, but who cares. If you love something and obsess that's fantastic. I have listed just a few things that happen as a result of being an obsessive fan. I'm sure there are other things, but these are the main ones that I have experienced. If you know me in real life I am sure you can confirm these items on the list. I mean that you have either heard me babble on and on about something or other, or you know obsessive people. Perhaps you may be one of us too. Either way, go forth and do you.