Being a Nonbiological Aunt

Being a Nonbiological Aunt

Aunthood is really the greatest thing ever
50

About 4 years ago, I received the news that my best friend was pregnant with, not one, but two babies. In March 2014, I was blessed with two nephews. I was ecstatic to say the least. From the beginning, I have been Aunt Libby, a role I take on with enthusiasm. Even though I’ve lived 1,200 miles away from them their entire life, I have made an effort to be a part of their lives as much as possible.

Fast forward to the present, as of this week, my nephews are 3 and are now big brothers to my brand new niece. In all of my excitement, I have shared photos and details about her with pretty much anyone who will give me the chance. All these conversations have sparked reflection about the joys of being an aunt and how much I cherish it.

I get to spoil them

Visits must include a ride in the Jeep to get ice cream and usually some sort of gift bag with goodies. When I’m not visiting, a trip to Target is not complete until I have scouted the bargain and clearance sections for anything I think they need. This includes things such as punch balloons, Mickey Mouse socks, coloring books, or any other fun toys. I’m always on the hunt for their favorite character clothing or anything else their little heart might desire - because when they receive it, even the smallest gift, watching their pure, complete joy over it is freaking awesome.

I get to do kid stuff again and not look like a total weirdo.

Some of these activities include: going see a “kid” cartoon movie, running through sprinklers, and blowing bubbles. I get to unleash my inner child and play and watch them learn and use their imagination. There are just some things you can’t do without a kid and there’s kids I’d rather hang out with.

I love Facetiming them

I have been fortunate to be able to visit 3-4 times a year, but even a visit every couple months is never enough. I am forever grateful that I am able to Facetime with my nephews and talk with them and watch them grow from out-of-state. Being able to see them and talk to them makes being away just a little bit easier. Facetime allowed me to virtually attend the gender reveal to find out that I would be getting a niece. Facetime doesn’t compare to actually being there, it is a pretty close second.

I get endless hours of laughter, cuddles, and memories

When I visit we spend hours building forts out of blankets, going to the playground, and having tickle fights The hours spent working overtime to afford plane tickets and the time spent actually traveling is all absolutely worth any small amount of time I get to spend with them. I wouldn’t trade any of the time we’ve spent together for the world. Especially the afternoon napping cuddle sessions on the couch.

I love how much they love me

My nephews know that I love to play with them (and bring them cool toys) so every time I go to their house I feel like the most popular person in town. They are genuinely excited to see me. They ask about sleepovers and don’t want me to leave, even when I have to go. They truly love me unconditionally.