Being Home, Even Just For A Weekend

Being Home, Even Just For A Weekend

Nothing sweeter.

54

So last August I had to schedule a doctors appointment for six months out (putting us in February) and somehow I rationalized in my brain that even if I had Friday classes I could leave, and make it home for a 3 p.m. appointment in Savannah. Stupid I know. Fast forward to winter break when I actually remembered this appointment existed, and realizing I also conveniently did not have any Friday classes this semester was the perfect recipe for a weekend get away from school.

I personally think we should have a February break because it seems about the time that people start getting stressed out with school. If we even just had a long weekend for Presidents' Day I think that would make a difference in the classic spring semester slump. Students are usually in their first round of exams or doing midterms. Late nights, early mornings. When are we supposed to breathe? Spring break, a month away? I don't think so.

I can tell you that I slept better one night in my bed at home than I have the past three weeks at school. I have felt genuinely restful this weekend just being with my family. Even when dealing with stressors like the doctor's appointment and conveniently getting a flat tire as soon as I pulled in the driveway at home and ending up replacing three tires, I think just being separated from campus and my daily activities has been very helpful. Being in a home, rather than the dorms always makes me feel like a real person again, and not just a student. Even more so when it is my own house that I spent so much of my childhood growing up in. It is familiar and comfortable and reminds me of where I have come from.

So I would highly recommend, even if you can't go home, I encourage you to get away from campus and your everyday life. Even if it is just for a Saturday afternoon. You will thank yourself, and your academics won't crumble instantly when you step off of campus. Remember that you live in a real city, in a real world, that has much more going on in it than your little college bubble. Go explore it. Go find all of her hidden gems and things only the locals in your city know about. Explore the world. Try new things. Find out all of the different perspectives and experiences the world has to offer you because I can assure you, you won't find them all on your college campus.