Professors Pet? Not a Bad Role to Have

Professors Pet? Not a Bad Role to Have

Follow these short guidelines to help yourself for the future.

675
Professors Pet? Not a Bad Role to Have
6. Not all professors are good professors

This is a response to Don't Be Afraid To Be Friends With Your Professors.

As a habitual teacher's pet, after reading the article about being friendly with professors, I immediately had thoughts of my own.

While I would describe myself as a teacher’s pet, I would also describe myself as being extremely shy at first glance. Especially in college, where in large lecture halls it becomes so hard to approach professors and make an impression.

I find that in large lecture halls, it is challenging to form personal relationships with professors. Therefore, I either have no relationship with those professors or go out of my way to have them remember me.

As someone who is shy though, I have found a step-by-step approach that works for me, and can maybe help those who are also like me out there.

1. Go to office hours, not for help, unless you need it. Go to office hours and let the professor know that you are grateful to be taking their class. Also, ask advice about future careers, internships, or even classes.
  2. Participate in the smaller classes. It is so much easier to form a connection with the professors in smaller classes. I say do it. Answer their questions, smile at them, and maybe even give them a thank-you note at the end of the semester.
  3. I find it beneficial to sit in the front half of the class sometimes. Not only does this create a good impression for the professor, they’re also bound to recognize you in the future.

While these are just a few tips, I find that getting to know professors on a personal level is not only a great connection to have but also extremely helpful both professionally and personally.