My Conservative Beliefs Aren't Wrong Because I'm At A Liberal School

Certain liberals are making it impossible for conservatives to live our lives without being shamed.

351
Flickr Creative Commons

I’m not going to lie when I say that being a conservative in a liberal college can be the worst experience sometimes. Everywhere you go, people are shouting out how terrible all conservatives or Republicans are, even if you’ve never actually done anything to personally offend those around you. I even saw something in one of our girl's restrooms bashing the President of our university for something that, in my opinion, doesn’t even matter. Let me say something real quick: if you have a problem with our President you need to either transfer schools or shut up about it. Complaining about him on a bathroom wall isn’t going to help anything… That’s for sure.

Anyway, I’m a moderately conservative Republican, as most Republicans are, and I don’t deserve the hatred and the snide comments/looks just because I wear my Future First Lady gear around campus or throw in my views during a class discussion on controversial topics. Someone simply having a different view than you is no reason to go crazy and blame them for all the terrible things happening in the world because chances are they have nothing to do with it anyway.

Ben Shapiro (one of the best conservatives in the world) was talking the other day about how he may not even be able to go and speak in some liberal colleges because they’re afraid of there being a major protest because of it. Have we really become so sensitive that we don’t even want people with different views to be in the same area as us and speaking about things they believe in? Is this what the world is coming to? Shapiro isn’t even that crazy of a conservative—he’s awesome. So, if I went to that school I would be stripped of my right to see someone I enjoy speaking about issues I believe in just because some people on the other end of the political spectrum would be unhappy about it. It’s called free speech, people. How about instead of causing a riot over someone speaking, we have come together and just let other people have their own views! It’s not that hard.

In other words, certain liberals are making it extremely difficult for conservatives to live our lives without being shamed, banned, and rioted against. It’s becoming increasingly hard to walk around campus supporting my beliefs because there are so many people on the other side who are going to respond with some crazy accusation that I hate immigrants or babies when that has nothing even to do with what the conversation is about.

With all that being said, I encourage everyone to support their views despite other people telling you that your beliefs are wrong. Also, if you’re a college conservative, please see the club called “College Republicans” and try to become more active in your college community. We don’t need to be pushed around and refused our first amendment right because liberals have a problem with it. I know I won’t stand down, and you shouldn’t either.