Being A Camp Counselor

Being A Camp Counselor

It's a little more than bathroom breaks and sunscreen.

13
Being A Camp Counselor

For the past four summers I worked at summer camps as a counselor. When I first started working there, it felt like I was starting my first day of high school all over again. I worked five days a week from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. My life was all about camp. When I wasn’t at camp, I was at my second job or in my bed. I had early mornings, so when I got to work I was greeted by sleepy kids. Kids can be rather sweet or not so sweet.

I was nervous that I wouldn’t make a good impression with the kids or my co-counselors. But, as with high school, you have to fight through the first couple days. Then, before you know it, you are smooth sailing. Looking back at it now, working at a day camp was nothing but overwhelmingly amazing. If you never have been a camp counselor, here is what it’s like.

Always know that the first day is always going to be the worst.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of the camper. You wake up, your parents are pushing you on a bus of strangers, you get off the bus to a place you have never been before and there are people everywhere. It’s like throwing yourself into Time Square with no map and no sense of direction. Keep in mind that the first day isn’t the worst day, without a few meltdowns.

Bathroom breaks. Bathroom breaks. Bathroom breaks.

One thing that I learned is that no matter how many times you ask a kid to go to the bathroom they will say no. They’ll shake their head, they will say not me and then five minutes later, after arriving at an activity, they will say the infamous line: “I have to go to the bathroom.” Also, no matter what, if you see a bathroom, stop and make them go.

Lunch is the most stressful part of the day

After half a day of activities, you have to deal with lunch. Personally, it is my all time favorite because I work in fast food. You are probably going to think that this time is for you to rejuvenate. WRONG. Basically you are running and eating. You are mostly on your feet going back and forth to order food because kids are suuuper picky. In the morning they will want a cheese sandwich but then they will want a peanut butter and jelly with no crust. You have to make sure that they ate and did not drop everything on the floor. On really hot days you have to constantly give them water. Once they are all settled and satisfied, take two minutes and breathe. You made it, kid. Good for you.

You have to be fearless when you really really don’t want to

Just the other day at my camp job, there was a huge hornet in our locker room. I personally hate every bug that existed on this planet. But I remained calm. I quickly took the kids out without screaming and running for the hills. Sometimes you need to breathe, dive into a pit of fear and find your own way out. The kids are looking up to you always.

Toddlers are sometimes mini Regina Georges

Kids under the age of six are pretty savage and I love it. They will be brutally honest and it will be hilarious. Two weeks ago, a kid told me that having my hair back made me look like a boy. But keep in mind that they also say a lot of nice things. So, a snarky comment here is really comic relief.

You will always hit your step count for the day.

Since this job is always on the go, I hit about 10,000 steps or more. It is a blessing and a curse.

The sun is your enemy

Spoiler Alert: Always. Have. Sunscreen. No matter what. Usually around July, the sun is blazing each day and the humidity is overbearing. But, you have to get through it. As Nike would say: just do it. You have to do this day in and day out. Make sure you never show how hot it is by complaining. The kids will notice and will do the same. Take the kids in the shade, keep them hydrated and keep yourself hydrated. You cannot get by without drinking a ton of water. Pray for a rainy day.

Rainy days are truly a blessing

Rainy days are the best time to rest. You get to take it easy on rainy days and the kids get to relax for once. Activities are cancelled and sometimes you get to watch movies!

Cherish their achievements and the moments

It’s very hard to not get attached to these kids because you get to see them grow and be awesome little human beings. So when they do something great, like learn how to dress themselves or learn how to do a back float on their own, make sure to cheer them on. Give them a hug or a high five because they did something that they thought they never could do in a million years. It makes me so happy to see them achieve something.

The end of the summer is hard on everyone

You know the infamous line, “It’s not goodbye, it’s see you later?” That does not apply here. Kids will not always remember who you are. They will forget that you were the counselor who calmed them down after every meltdown. They will forget that you took them to the bus every day. And, that’s okay because you will too. So when you go to school, you will have some hilarious camp stories to tell your kids. Then by next June you get to do it all over again.