being a busy college student is alright

I Don't Have Commitment Issues, I'm Just Busy

I had exactly 33 minutes to write this article.

80
Photo Credit: Lauren Feiges

If you are anything like me, your phone is buzzing at all hours of the day — calendar notifications, texts, hundreds of emails, tweets I have missed — the list is never-ending. My constant stream of connectivity is overwhelming. This, mixed with the various real-life commitments I have for school, my sorority, and other activities, makes missing your text or email very easy.

Since getting to college, I have abandoned my planner for an electronic calendar and e-sticky note system of tracking what needs to get done. Trying to keep track of what I have to do on a day to day basis is the only reason I do not get distracted by the larger tasks looming in the distant future. That being said, in order to truly stay on top of my tasks, my daily planning had to evolve into something I scheduled down to the hour, sometimes even to the minute. Never have I understood the phrase 'so much to do, so little time' more than since I have started university.

Being a busy person means giving your best effort possible to as many things as possible. Unfortunately, not every task can have 100% of my attention at all times. Sacrifice in what I spend more time on has been a big adjustment from high school, where I only focused on a few tasks and put a lot of energy into all of them. Even though most people prefer quantity over quality, I have discovered I enjoy branching out and stretching myself a little thinner. Going beyond my comfort zone has pushed me to do things I never would have done a year ago, and has allowed me the opportunity to make even more connections than I could imagine. This is the first step in making a big university smaller.

My life being a controlled chaos has unfortunately led me to have to cut corners with things I care about. To the people I am passionate about and the extra curricular's I just don't have time for: I wish I could do it all, and it is nothing personal.