Why I Actually Prefer Teaching Infants

Why I Actually Prefer Teaching Infants

I didn't choose the infants, the infants chose me...

472
Why I Actually Prefer Teaching Infants
Lil' Einstein's

"You are so brave for working with them" to "That must be so nice, I bet it's so easy!" there is no in-between. Since the age of nineteen, I have been working with infants (Six weeks to one year old). I can not tell you how much I wish I decided to work with children earlier than later. When I was in high school, I went to a vocational school for culinary. I then went to college for about a semester for communications.

After that, I attended cosmetology school for a month, then finally decided to go into working with children. I had completed my certificate courses at community college to be able to know more about working with infants and toddlers. I will admit, when I was thinking about working with infants, I thought it was going to be so easy. I was so wrong. Infants are new to the world, they do not understand what is happening around them, it takes a lot of patience to work with them because they are just so needy all the time.

So why continue working with infants instead of another age group?

I kept working with infants because I learned the patience I needed to be able to work with them. Although I have expanded to working with children up to two years old, being an infant teacher will always be the best thing that ever happened to me. I have learned so much from them as much as they have learned from me.

As I am even writing this, I can hear one of the infants from their classroom crying and oh man, does it break my heart (Quick intermission to go to the infant room and make them stop crying). They are so innocent, kind, and wonderful. Sure, they have days where they are absolutely off, but I just think to myself, "It's a bad day, not a bad life." that quote has helped me through so much when working with children.

Why keep working with them if they're so demanding?

Well, like I said before, they're new to the world. Everything sort of revolves around them and they don't even intend to be demanding or anything. They are constantly growing and developing new skills every day and need the right kind of guidance to help them get through all of the changes they go through on a daily basis.

Didn't you ever get annoyed working with infants?

Honestly, at first yes. It takes a lot of patience and understanding to care for them. Especially when you're working with multiple infants at once. My love for the infants I have taken care of has grown immensely and helped me towards learning to have such patience for them. Even though I do not work in an infant room anymore, I absolutely adore the infants at the school I am at now.

I wish I had listened to my mother back in high school about working with children because it is the best reward in my eyes. Helping them learn and grow. I find infants to be the most adorable little humans ever and I would do a lot for the ones I take care of! I can honestly say working with infants has turned my life around for the better, as well as my everyday mood. I look forward to working every day at the school I am at now because of how sweet the infants (and children) are there.