Growing Up Is Not As Fun As We Thought

Don't Be In A Rush To Grow Up, Being An Adult Isn't As Fabulous As We Thought

Being a big kid is not all it's cracked up to be.

316
Taylor Cust

As kids, we always want to grow up so fast and do all of the things the big kids do. We are so eager to drive and do all the things that we see our siblings or parents doing, and that's literally all we want in life is to be grown up and sit at the grown-ups table. We rush everything as kids because you know the grass is always greener on the other side...until you're the one mowing it.

I was always SO excited to turn 16 and drive...until everyone wanted rides and then, it wasn't so much fun anymore.

We were all so ready to go to college, and now, here we are like "wow, being in college and having to adult is not all it's cracked up to be."

Those moments when you're in your room alone, you just wish that you could walk down the hall and go hang out with your brother and sister. Or when you're really sick and stressed out about tests and assignments and all you want is someone to take care of you and make it all better. Then there are the times where you end up sleep instead of eating dinner because you were too tired or running a little low on funds from the week's activities.

Now, suddenly, you have these bills and schedules to follow all on your own because you're really out here living your life away from home.

Managing all of the things that life brings to you all on your own in some foreign place that you've never been before you just get dropped off like welp, here you go! Figure it out! We'll see you in 3 months or so to check in and have a meal together.

It really hits you all at once that you are here suddenly living a completely different life having to fend for yourself and figure things out on your own. Life is no easy nut to crack and trying to do it in college really just makes it that much harder.

Finding somewhere to live, paying rent, maybe even getting a job...all these things that sounded so interesting in years past are now the same things stressing you out now that you actually have to do them.

So, here's a word of advice to everyone out there, don't be in such a rush to grow up! Yes, they are lots of fun times and good memories that go with growing up and things like that, but there are also a lot of hardships and trials and things of that nature that you have to handle too. I am only a year in and struggling a little bit but I'm getting there! I am learning and trying and getting better every day, it's all just a process and like they say you've got to trust it.