What It's like being a server during covid

The new normal is not normal.

12
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/171770173273204370/

I work at an Asian restaurant in North Carolina. Last Friday the Governor allowed us to move into phase 2 which allowed restaurants to open for dine-in. There were a lot of stipulations and hoops that the restaurants had to jump through. They are required to operate at 50% capacity and keep the tables at least 6ft apart. If this is the new normal then I don't know how we will be able to keep things up.

On a normal night the restaurant would be packed. We would turn the tables every which way to be able to fit any and everyone we possibly could. There would be peopled packed in and more waiting outside the door to get in. It's a little sad now. Things have been slow and the restaurant I work for is only open for takeout only still. I can't wait to open and see the amount of people that have been waiting to come in.

With the money being low due to cut hours we have to cope somehow. Most of us servers have taken on more jobs in many different fields. I, for example, am working at a daycare at a Christian school. This was my first week working both jobs and I would be lying if I was to say I am not exhausted. Not either job is extremely difficult it's just the stress of worrying about both jobs and keeping up with the schedules of both.

Not only that but I recently decided to transer to UNCC for the fall before all of the coronavirus stuff hit the United States. At first I wasn't worried about it affecting my school next year, I honestly didn't even think it would last this long. I was very very wrong. I, of course, can't attend orientation in person and get to tour the new campus I will be a part of. I also have a different schedule for the new semester than any other school has ever done. The stress is not over yet.

Working two jobs is stressful but in the end, I think it will all be worth it. This is the new normal, we have to rise to the occasion and do everything we can to stay on top. I honestly can't wait to be able to see my regular costumers and talk to them about their lives and how they have been. I feel like I have missed so much.