Being A Senior In Spring 2020

Being A Senior In Spring 2020

Then the unexpected happens.

1
Being A Senior In Spring 2020
Personal Photo

I'm not going to lie, being in your last semester of college and basically counting down the days for the past six months until you walk across stage is something everybody is excited for. Then the unexpected happens, COVID-19. Then your last experience of college as an undergrad is taken away. Colleges across the nation are closing campuses and switching to online classes only. For me, I'm student teaching and our school is shut down through April 5th at least. I know it's for the best and I understand why. I have people in my life who are high risk and I understand. It's just a tough situation for the entire nation. As a college senior who has been dying to cross the stage, I'm heartbroken at the fact that there is a possibility of not having a commencement. I've cried at the thought.

Although, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be a high school senior right now. Schools are closing, they are canceling school activities, proms, senior activities, and possibly graduation. These kids have been looking forward to these things for a long time just to have them not happen. I feel heartbroken for my sister who is a senior, who already had to miss all of homecoming festivities due to a three day scholarship interview weekend. It may suck now, but it doesn't end here. These things can always happen at a later date. It may not happen in the next few weeks, but it would be even more memorable to have things like prom doing the middle of July. Now that would be a story to tell.

Even though these things are difficult to swallow right now, we have to remind ourselves of why this is happening. We have to remind ourselves of why we have to practice social distancing. We have to remind ourselves of the more vulnerable people in our lives that we don't want to lose. Wash your hands, don't go our unless you have to, wear gloves if you have to go out, cancel plans that you've had made, protect others around you. Be smart and not selfish.