Horror Films That Were Scarier Behind The Scenes

5 Horror Films That Were Scarier Behind The Scenes

Knowing what went on when filming these horror movies will send chills up your spine.

107

When watching a particularly terrifying horror film we all like to snuggle up under a blanket, close our eyes, and whisper to ourselves It's just a movie it's just a movie. Well, what if you knew that sometimes the stuff that goes on behind the scenes is even more gut-wrenching than the actual film? From minor injuries on set to actual deaths, while filming, these five movies have been considered "cursed" for the bizarre things that have happened during and around the time of filming.

1. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

c1.staticflickr.com

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) is about 5 friends going to Texas and run into a crazy family of psychopaths, one being a man by the name of Leatherface who murders people with a chainsaw and uses their faces as masks. According to The untold truth of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the actor who played Leatherface (Gunnar Hansen) wasn't allowed to shower and was required to stay away from the rest of the cast members until they began filming.

Also, the lead actress of the movie (Marilyn Burns) was actually punched in the face, had her finger spliced open, and ran through branches scratching herself while shooting the movie. In the end, when she is in the pickup truck, covered in blood, it is her real blood due to so many injuries. Despite all the huge demands, these actors had to go through, they were only paid roughly two dollars an hour and given access to the several acres long marijuana farm that was on set.

2. "The Exorcist"

upload.wikimedia.org

The Exorcist (1973) is about a girl showing unusual and demon-like behavior which leads a local priest to perform an exorcism on her. This movie has all kinds of creepy supernatural occurrences on set and many deaths while they were shooting. Is THE EXORCIST cursed? says that right before filming, the house they were planning to film it was caught on fire and destroyed every room except for Regan's (Linda Blair). Also, as far as injuries, when Regan pushes her mother (Kitty Winn) down she was severely hurt, and when Linda Blair (Regan) was thrown out of the bed she damaged her back in real life.

Actors Jack Macgowran and Vasiliki Maliaros both died when filming was finished which is frightening because their characters die in the film as well. A few other family members of the actors passed while filming like Linda Blair's grandfather and Max Von Sydow's (Father Merrin) brother. This film has been called cursed on numerous occasions and considering all the deaths and paranormal activity, it pretty much adds up.

3. "The Shining"

c1.staticflickr.com

In The Shining (1980) a family becomes caretakers of a mountain lodge and so the father can become a writer. As they stay, he begins to unlock dark secrets about the hotel and transforms into a maniac. Behind the scenes of this classic film, the actress Shelley Duvall (Wendy Torrance) was put through mental torture in order to make her look stressed and emotionally drained for the camera. According to 10 Crazy Things Stanley Kubrick Did To Film 'The Shining", the director would get mad at her for very small mistakes, make her do takes an unbearable amount of times, and tell everyone to shun her and give her a hard time for everything. Yes, she did an amazing job with her acting skills but knowing her tears were real at times makes the movie even more bone-chilling. By the end of the film, she grew very ill and her hair started falling out due to being treated like nothing for such a long amount of time.

4. "The Poltergeist"

c1.staticflickr.com

The Poltergeist (1982) is about a family who starts to communicate with friendly and playful ghosts who soon after turn evil. After this movie reached theatres, two of the main, younger actors Dominique Dunne (Dana) and Heather O'Rourke (Carol Anne Freeling) died in tragic ways. Bizarre things that happened on the set of Poltergeist says that Dunne was strangled by her ex-boyfriend and O'Rourke died from cardiac arrest at the young age of 12.

Also, when actor Oliver Robbins (Robbie Freeling) was shooting the scene where he is being strangled by a clown doll, the prop actually got caught and began to choke him but he was saved by one of the crew members before anything too serious happened. Lastly, in the scene where actress Jobeth Williams (Diane Freeling) is stuck in a muddy pool with corpses everywhere, basically everyone including her had no idea that the corpses were real. They chose not to tell her until all of those scenes were filmed which while probably having good intentions, was still something that someone would want to know before diving in a pit of mud.

5. "The Omen"

c1.staticflickr.com

The Omen is about a family who adopted a young boy and realized after several deadly events that he might be the Antichrist. The cast members and the crew went through a lot of trauma during and around the time of filming. Haunted Movie Sets: The Omen says that for starters, two months before the film began, Gregory Peck's (Robert Thorn) son shot himself in the head. Peck also barely escaped a plane crash, canceling his reservation to a plane that plummeted to the ground. Scriptwriter David Seltzer was not so lucky because his plane was hit by lightning as it was crossing the Pacific. John Richardson, the set designer made a scene where someone is decapitated from a car accident. One day he and his assistant, Liz Moore were riding in a car when they had a head-on collision which led to Moore being cut in half. Although the injury is not exact to that of the character's, the coincidence is just a little bit frightening.