17 Things You Need To Do Before You Graduate From FSU

With four, or maybe five, years in Tallahassee, time is of the essence to make sure you have the full Florida State experience.

635
Needpix.com

Sorry to break it to you, but you don't have a lot of time left before you're shipped off into the real world. Only four years, give or take, stand between you and total adulthood. Whether you're a senior about to graduate, or a freshman all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed trying to make the most of your time at FSU, everyone wants to make sure they do or partake in all the iconic and classic Florida State traditions.

To make the most of your time and the best of your experience here is a carefully curated bucket list of things to do before you graduate from Florida State University.

1. Get a hot dog and lemonade from Mom and Pop's.

With three convenient campus locations (outside Strozier, behind the Health and Wellness Center, and in between Williams and Diffenbaugh), I feel like this is a staple of the FSU community. Mom and Pop's has been on campus for 19 years and has no plans of moving as so many students devour the delicious food and beverages daily and love the sweet smiles they get from the Woodson clan.

2. Jump in the Westcott fountain at midnight on your 21st birthday.

If you don't do this, did you even go to Florida State? A long-standing tradition here in Tallahassee is that you get thrown, or jump into the Westcott Fountain at midnight on your 21st birthday. Almost every night around 11:45 PM, you can walk past that pretty, iconic FSU fountain and see groups of students waiting to toss their friends in with a bottle of champagne waiting to be popped after they climb to the top. No matter the weather, make sure you head to the fountain on College Ave. and Copeland St. on your 21st to take a celebratory dip!

3. Take a picture with the Garnet and Gold guys.

You know them, you love them, they're the Garnet and Gold guys. I'm not quite sure how you even get this gig, but these guys essentially are basically told to show up to all major school events with their bodies entirely covered in either garnet or gold glitter. They are awesome. I love these guys. If you see them, take your picture with them because that's basically what they're there for (aside from the school spirit factor). I'd also give them some words of encouragement because it can't always be fun to be somewhere basically naked and covered in glitter while posing for pictures. Plus, imagine how terrible the after event showers are? Garnet and Gold guys, y'all rock.

4. Go to President Thrasher's ice cream social.

This annual tradition allows President Thrasher and his wife the opportunity to give back to the FSU community and meet all of the students. With what is essentially a small scale carnival on Landis with ice cream (of course), popcorn, popsicles, and even sometimes bounce houses and other entertainment for free, it is the place to be and a great place to mingle and have a good time with other students and faculty.

5. Go to every bar/club.

Here is a compiled list of all the important college faves in Tally: The Strip (all bars), Recess, Bullwinkles, Potbelly's, Privé, Bajas, GVO, Clyde's and Costellos, Standard, Township, Madison Social, Centrale, Poor Pauls, Stetsons, Brick House, and Cancun's.

6. Senior Toast.

This event comes once a year for those Seniors about to graduate out of the best university in the world. At the infamous Doak Campbell Stadium, SGA hosts a champagne toast (or a non-alcoholic champagne toast if you're not of age or that's not your vibe) to celebrate the great accomplishment that is graduating from a top 20 university every spring. You even get to keep the champagne flute as a souvenir, so make sure you attend this once in a life time event.

7. Bar/Frat Crawl.

Every weekend in football season is a new chance for all the ladies to frat hop. Although we all develop our favorites, try to branch out and go to every fraternity tailgate you can because 1) it's free, and 2) it's a great way to meet people. Also, participation in “all-frats day" is a must. This is one game day where you decide to go to every single fraternity for their tailgates. However, if you're a boy the tailgate thing may be a no-go for you, so everyone, women and men, must participate in some sort of bar crawl before graduation. Many seniors create their own or sorta do their own thing, but some bars (i.e. MadSo, Township, Centrale) sponsor their own and they are definitely worth looking into. Remember to drink responsibly and only if you're of age!

8. Venture out into residential Tallahassee. 

How is it possible that some FSU students live in Tallahassee for somewhere close to four years and they never see anything outside our bubble of a college town? The rest of Tallahassee has a lot to offer between more nightlife, family-friendly entertainment, parks, and cute scenery. Before you graduate, you have to drive 10-30 minutes in any direction away from FSU’s campus and see how the people in residential Tally live. Personally, I work in residential Tallahassee and I’ve learned to love it so much that I do my grocery shopping out there and I go to study over there. There’s something therapeutic about going somewhere for a few hours that isn’t chalked full of college kids, so you need this one.

9. Complete a drink challenge at Madison Social.

Once you turn 21, this coveted cherry must be popped. Madison Social sponsors a drink challenge every month that essentially enables a punch card system and rotating themes. Each punch card contains six drinks, each monthly combination is unique and has something about them that's similar. Whether they're all vodka drinks or all brunch cocktails, the reward for completion of the challenge is a Madison Social shirt with a special design relating to the theme of that month's drinks on the back. These shirts are special in Tallahassee and you have to have one, plus the experience of finally completing the card is so fulfilling.

10. Hang out on Landis.

Landis Green acts as the center and hub of campus. Every single day, organizations are out there tabling, people are out there throwing frisbees, or they might even be out their lounging or swinging in an Enu hammock. No matter how old or young you are, there’s just something so relaxing about kicking back and relaxing in the great outdoors. So, study outside, grab some snacks and have a picnic, or even just people watch the day away in the fresh air (this can be so entertaining, especially if the role players are there), but definitely hang out on Landis before you graduate.

11. Pull an all-nighter in Strozier.

This one is a not-so-fun must do, but if you haven't pulled an all-nighter, were you ever even in college? Strozier Library (also referred to as Stroz, Strozy, Club Stroz, etc.) is the main library at FSU, located right in the center of campus facing Landis Green and it includes a Starbucks and 24-hour operation during the weekdays. As an FSU student, you have free access to the library whenever you want with the swipe of your FSU ID and you have access to rent technology, use desktop computers, print, rent study rooms, tutoring, and moral support from random people sitting next to you, most of which are free. Take advantage of this study space and the fact that everyone cries in Stroz -mental-breakdown style- at least once before they graduate (and it's deemed socially acceptable) by pulling at least one all-nighter at this place loved -and hated- by so many.

13. Utilize each free amenity FSU has to offer.

The Leach, Askew Student Life Center, sports tickets, even the libraries are all things we get to use for free as FSU students. We all take them for granted while were in Tallahassee, but as soon as we graduate we will miss the fact that we had free fitness classes whenever we wanted and could get into FSU sporting events for free or a discounted rate. Let's take advantage of these free things our tuition dollars are paying for anyway! Here is a list of a lot of free things to do as an FSU student.

13. Tailgate and go to a football game. 

FSU has had some pretty good football seasons over the year but despite the record of the team, going to a football game in Tallahassee is quite the experience. From the (mandatory) tailgate to the actual game inside Doak, there's nothing like it. The energy in Tallahassee on a game day is electric and something every single FSU student should experience. Win or lose, there's always somewhere to celebrate the good 'ole Noles before, during, and after the game.

14. Drink coffee at a café.

No, I don't count Starbucks as a café. Get yourself to Lucky Goat, Red Eye, or my personal favorite, Black Dog (the location by Lake Ella is the best). College kids fiend for coffee, so it's only right to branch out and see that there's more than chain coffee and there's such a thing as a real café to give you all the vibes. The Black Dog on Lake Ella has the most serene vibes and on top of the fact that you can have your coffee with a great view, they even turn off the WiFi on the weekend sometimes to encourage personal connections and interactions.

15. Go to The Rez.

The Rez is a unique place and is special to FSU as it functions as an off-site campground that meets the beach. It is totally free for FSU students as it is an FSU property, but it is open to the public. Just show your FSU card and you're onto this property for free where you can do rope courses and rent water apparatuses for cheap. There are lifeguards on duty, and employees to monitor the rest of the grounds for safety and you can even apply to work here if that's your jam, but no FSU journey is complete without a trip to the Rez.

16. Hit all the local Tallahassee food spots.

If you don't go to Gordo's, Madison Social, Mr. Roboto's, and Bagel Bagel before you graduate, did you even live in Tallahassee? Here is a list of some of Tallahassee's finest local eats that are kind of a must-do while you live there.

17. Shotgun a Y-Bomb.

Saving the best for last, every FSU student must experience the glory of a Y-bomb. Being that the Y-Bomb was invented at Yianni's (one of the bars in the strip), it is a staple here at FSU. Once you're of age, of course, go into any of the clubs near campus and order a Y-bomb. Though they are one of the pricer drinks the Tally clubs have to offer, this Red Bull and Vodka mixture is so good and definitely something that is essential to the full FSU experience. In true Florida State fashion, the only way to enjoy this drink, however, is to shotgun it.