A Guide To Becoming Your Happiest Self

A Guide To Becoming Your Happiest Self

A brief guide for struggling teen girls... by another struggling teen girl

261
A Guide To Becoming Your Happiest Self
ONEHDWallpaper

I'm sure that we can all agree being stuck in a slump of lost confidence and low motivation is probably one of the worst feelings we can experience as humans. Without motivation or confidence, we have no drive to set goals for ourselves, make plans, and sometimes even get out of bed or look in the mirror. I can relate to this all too well. I used to find myself at an all time low almost constantly, and usually found myself wondering, "Why do I keep finding myself in this place, and how in the hell do I get out?" To answer that, I found myself thinking about how I could make changes in my life to actually become my happiest self. That includes within schooling, work, and just plain self love and self care. These are all equally important areas of your life you need to consider while thinking of how you can make a change to live the life you want to live. Here are some of the things I found that I think can contribute to making life a little brighter for not only me, but hopefully you as well...

1. Take a break from technology

I know, totally cliche, right? But seriously, taking a break from technology is one of the best things you can do for your mental health. Our generation has a serious case of FOMO (fear of missing out). A social media cleanse can help you prioritize what you should actually be taking care of instead of mindlessly scrolling through your Instagram or Twitter feed and opening photos on Twitter hoping the surprise they promise you is a different puppy than the one you saw last time. I challenge you to try it, can you go 2 hours? 5 hours? Gradually work your way towards a full day, there's so much you can do without a phone in hand!

2. Spend time with a positive female role model

It's a fact that all mother-daughter relationships aren't like a Disney movie, and spending time with your mom can sometimes be more of a chore than something you would willingly do, but you can learn so much by just spending a few moments a day talking to her and asking advice. If your mom isn't in your life, this role model can be a teacher, an aunt, your grandmother, or any female you look up to and feel comfortable enough talking with. My mom is such a powerful woman who takes on so much responsibility that she gets little to no credit for. She is the leader of three different girl scout troops, managers her own business, is a photographer/event planner on the side, and still manages to find time to support her two daughters. I found one of the things that put a constant strain on my happiness and ability to be my best self was the decline of my mom and I's relationship. When you don't have someone to confide in, or you don't let someone in who wants to help you, your bottled up emotions can become problems. Older females have experienced more in life than you, and even though we don't often want to believe it, they are often right when it comes to giving us advice. Putting a little more effort into your bond with that special designated woman each day will not only make much you happier, but make her feel appreciated as well.

3. Make self love a top priority

I feel like we often forget the root of how we can become our happiest self starts with changing the way we look at ourselves! This can be especially hard when you're feeling so unmotivated, uninspired, and just plain unattractive. Being stuck in a cycle of self hatred can be scary and painful. And the solution? Just love yourself. You're different and that's okay. Its more than okay, it's amazing! When you remember who you are and who you CAN be, it changes the game. And when I say love yourself, love yourself hard. Treat yourself! Buy yourself that large drink from Caribou instead of the medium. Take an hour long bath with the bubbles, the face mask, and even the candles. Beat that face extra hard, just for yourself, and look in the mirror to admire your artwork. Hell, look in the mirror without any makeup and admire that damn artwork! You are beautiful, you are unique, and you are so worth it. "To fall in love with yourself first is the secret to happiness." -Robert Morley

4. Stop caring what other people think of you

This, I cannot stress enough. I have spent too much of my lifetime worrying about how people think of me and what image I want people to see. You can only become your best self when you realize that living up to someone else's or society's standards is not what is beneficial for you. Your best self should be determined by your idea of perfection, your idea of success, and your idea of beauty. Don't succumb to the pressures of society and your peers. Be unapologetically you.

5. Find what drives you and utilize it

In order to not lose your motivation, you need something to keep you grounded. Finding an activity that helps you ground yourself is important for when you need time to clear your head or escape from the stressors of reality. For me, it's working out. I find myself going to the gym whenever I need to blow off a little steam or I need to escape and find my focus. This can be any activity you enjoy, but pick one that is something you excel in and can give you a sort of escape from reality. It could be playing an instrument, writing or journaling, going for a walk or run, baking, or any type of other pastime that is concrete and important to you. Yoga is an especially good way to find your zen, and bringing friends to CorePower is even more fun! (P.S, If you're a new member with CorePower, you get a week of yoga free!)

6. Share your positivity with others

Whether it be giving a compliment to a friend, making new friends with someone at work or school, or giving back/volunteering at a charity of choice, radiating positivity feels so good. The days I wake up smiling make me want to share that feeling with everyone. When you spread positivity, you not only impact other peoples' day and their mood, you slowly make it a habit to spread kindness wherever you go.

7. Keep up healthy habits

Maintaining healthy habits is so beneficial to your mental and physical health, which will impact your overall happiness in the long run. These helpful habits are easy to incorporate into your daily routine as long as you make an effort, such as getting enough sleep for your age, cutting out fatty and processed foods, and drinking around 8 glasses of water a day (which also helps clear up your skin, helps with bloating, and increases the amount of calories you burn!!) One of these habits I swear by is to stop drinking pop. Cutting back on sugary and fizzy drinks is great for your health, and also gives you more energy. Scientists have also conducted a study and found that subjects who drank more than four cans or cups per day of soda were up to 30 percent more likely to develop depression than those who did not drink soda. Although this is just an association and not a direct cause, it is something to keep in mind before drinking pop.

8. "It be like that sometimes".

When worst comes to worst, sometimes the most you can do is sit back and let the universe sort out things for you on its own. I've found that instead of spending hours, or even days, worrying and obsessing over situations is so incredibly unhealthy and has negative effects on your mental health. Often when I would obsess about things it would start out small, thinking about the situation while I was bored or while mindlessly doing chores or homework. But soon these thoughts would consume me, "What did I do wrong?" "Was this my fault?" "I wish I did something differently." One of the best things I've done for my happiness is adopt "It be like that sometimes" as my sort of 'motto'. Letting go isn't easy, trust me, but letting go is often creating space for something better. "The root of suffering is attachment" -Buddha

After reading this, I hope you gained some confidence within yourself, because the only person who can manipulate your fate is yourself. I don't view happiness as a destination, but as a journey that one must take. Just know that if you're reading this, you aren't alone! I'm making progress in my journey at the same time as you. And remember, journeys aren't meant to be short lived! Take in mistakes as learning experiences, and don't get discouraged if things don't immediately fall into place. It be like that sometimes.