Make A Difference - Be A RA

Make A Difference - Be A RA

Do it, you won't.

20
Make A Difference - Be A RA
Joan Richardson

The first person I met on move in day at Westminster College was my RA (resident assistant) Morgan. She appeared out of nowhere, stuck her head into the door, and introduced herself in the most sunny and polite way possible. At that point in time, I had the stereotypical opinion of her. “Oh man, my RA is going to be so mean and get me in so much trouble. I have to be on my best behavior whenever she’s around.” Little did I know, my RA was about to become one of my favorite people on campus.

A few weeks later, Morgan recommended I apply to become an RA. She told me that she believed I had the capability to influence others the way that she influenced me. Now, here I am two years later. I have almost completed my second year as an RA and am applying for my final victory lap as a third year RA.

There are so many life lessons I have learned as an RA. From developing mutual respect for your peers, to communicating with people of all ages, and everything in between. Here are five advantages of becoming an RA:

1. You move back into school days before everyone else.

For a whole week and half, Residence Life is on campus before anyone else. We eat meals in peace, share the building with a limited number of other people, and have the bathrooms to ourselves for a little while.

2. The Res Life bonfire.

Spending an evening off of training on the bio trail will be a lifesaver. Playing Frisbee and eating s’mores while the sunsets is a relaxing way to get to know your co-workers for the year.

3. You have your own room.

That one kind of speaks for itself. Having your own room is a major perk of being an RA. You are able to turn the lights on whenever you want, come and go as you please, get dressed in privacy, etc. You will not appreciate the value of these little things until you live in a very small room with another person who has a lot of stuff.

4. A staff that is like family.

I have been very fortunate the last two years when it comes to the members of Russell’s staff. Last year, the staff was filled with laughing until we cry moments, supporting each other when we actually cried, and so much more. This year, the staff is filled with off-track conversations and tea dates. Both are a refreshing, supportive, and encouraging reason to become an RA.

5. The sense of community.

As an RA, you learn very quickly about the “fish bowl” you live in. This year that “fish bowl” and I became very good friends. No matter where you go, the fact that you are an RA goes with you as well. This can be daunting at times, however, I learned to appreciate it. Being an RA means wherever I go on campus, I see someone I know. Whether it is a fellow RA, a Pro Staff member, or a resident of the building, it’s always nice to see a familiar face on campus.

These five reasons are only a few examples of the perks of being involved in Residence Life. I highly recommend anyone interested to apply for the position. Doing so will grant you the experiences listed above and so much more.