So You Want To Be Marketable

So You Want To Be Marketable

How to make yourself marketable when you're young and haven't chosen a direction yet.

24
So You Want To Be Marketable
Used under free license granted to author by Death To The Stock Photo (DTTSP LLC.)
“The habit of always putting off an experience until you can afford it, or until the time is right, or until you know how to do it is one of the greatest burglars of joy. Be deliberate, but once you’ve made up your mind–jump in.”
– Charles R. Swindoll

There is an idea in modern American culture: make up your mind and make it up quick. This idea elaborates that one has to figure out what they are going to do with their lives early on, often this conversation begins in elementary. I know, because as an educator I am often asked to do this. College, career, direction... the list of keywords spit onto us to repeat later drones on. However, it doesn't end there! Okay, so you've graduated, you're a young adult, good. Now, pick a degree and finish it in four years, buckle down, stick with it, choose a graduate program, hurry up; pick a career! Sound familiar? If it doesn't, it will soon.

What do I mean though, I mean you have options! If you're like me, you're taking it slow and figuring out what comes next for you and not in the eyes of society. Maybe you've transferred multiple times or tried multiple degree choices; and maybe you (like myself) have worked and work one or multiple jobs while figuring it out. It's okay, no matter where any of us are in settling into our life decisions; here are 10 ways to make yourself marketable in the meantime.

1. Volunteer!

It seems so obvious, right? Well that may be, but for many the question is not what to do but how. Here is what I've learned from personal experience and others around me: always play to your strengths and interests when it comes to volunteering. There is nothing worse than dreading even a portion of your day because you hate it. It's unlikely to serve well in the long run. Even more, look for those opportunities to improve upon weaknesses in your service.

2. VOLUNTEER!

I cannot state this enough! In 2013, the Corporation for National and Community Service released a study (see attached link) titled "Volunteering as a Pathway to Employment: Does Volunteering Increase Odds of Finding a Job for the Out of Work?" The results, "After controlling for demographic variables, we found that volunteering was associated with a 27% higher odds of employment, statistically significant at the 99.9% confidence level. The association between volunteering and employment had the strongest effect on individuals without a high school diploma or equivalent (51% increase in odds) and individuals who live in rural areas (55% increase in odds). We found that the relationship between volunteering and employment is stable across gender, race, and ethnic categories, age, time, Metropolitan Statistical Area, and unemployment rate."

In layman's terms, colleges and employers want you if you volunteer!

3. Stick It Out

Allow me to propose this scenario. You are a hiring manager with the ability to be choosy as 2 open positions have, let's say, 43 qualified applicants. Wouldn't you want to choose an applicant who (through references) has proven to be reliable, consistent, and responsible? I don't know about you, but I want the applicant who had 1 job for the last 5 years rather than the one who had 5 with little to no time for professional development. So do many managers...

4. Take Professional Development Courses

I get it, you may not be ready to make some of those big choices you are faced with regardless of your stage in life. Make use of your time though, you can still be a barista and provide childcare for a living while taking a few courses on the side. Technical colleges are great for that, community colleges as well. Try your hand at what interests you. Look for workshops and weekend conferences, anything you think could assist your professional life later is probably a good choice. Coursera is an excellent option.

5. Collect Professional Certifications

Let's face it, it's going to be a while until I'm exactly where I'd like to be. There are many others in similar situations, you may be one the many. There is hope though, a short-term professional certificate can go a long way in the eyes of a potential employer. The same goes for a grad school! It shows you take initiative and are serious besides being well rounded. Combine that with relevant practical experience and you have it made.

Pro note: There are a variety of professional certificates ranging in time commitments up to a year and as short as 6 weeks, do your research on what is most practical for you. Check out Coursera's collection of specializations. They do offer financial aid per individual courses!

6. Join AmeriCorps or The Peace Corps

Honestly, it's not the right fit for everyone but if you do your research and it sounds right for you... it's the best opportunity I have ever had! I bet you'd say the same in the end. I joined AmeriCorps and employers and colleges LOVE AmeriCorps and Peace Corps alumni. I cannot understate the opportunities that await you at the end of service. Not to mention the Segal American Education Award for a term of service with AmeriCorps (aprox. $5700) to pay for school or pay off loans. Enticing, I know.

7. Learn A Language

It may go without saying that we live in a highly globalized society. The 21st century more than any other century is tremendously diverse. We may have our own cultures but society now is a collective of the world as a whole. As such, professionals with language skills are essential to the navigation of our modern world. Anymore, it's not enough to just speak English. Spanish is heavily used now in American society, Mandarin is often touted as the future business language, and Arabic is the gateway to the middle east. Duolingo is an excellent free resource, and of course there is always Rosetta Stone.

8. Write For The Odyssey

I couldn't help but say it, but in all seriousness, writing is an awesome way to make yourself marketable especially today. We network online constantly, having something to show an employer or college and say; "Look, this is my work. This is what I've contributed to society." can speak volumes. Not to mention of you're in the market for scholarships, need I even say it? But it doesn't have to be The Odyssey, it can be any medium really. Plus, let's be honest shall we? Writing is the visual form of talking and both are rather enjoyable.

We are often told to do something sensible, often warned against careers/degrees with "no money in it", and pushed to make up our minds. That's all fine and dandy for some individuals, but, sometimes it's okay to take a step back to be sure of yourself. Make the most of that time! Above all, listen to yourself. You might not choose the easiest path to take or the path with great security but if it's fulfilling and meaningful to you... in the end, it will all be worth it.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson