Because No One Else Will: 100 Things Life Has Taught Me

154
"22" Music Video

Gandhi spoke, “Whatever you do, in life, will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.” I tend to agree, with the first part; and I am learning to agree, with the second part.

By 22-years-old, Gandhi had three children, Elizabeth II was Queen, and Buddy Holly was dead. And me? I am writing this article. In my 8,030 days on this Earth, I have found 100 painful truths, joyful noises, and loving thoughts, as I am learning, that yes, “it is very important that you do it.” Because no one else will.

1. Clichés are cliché for a reason.
  2. Cinderella and apple juice are always a good choice for a Saturday night spent alone.
  3. Exercise the right and freedom to choose God more and to choose God less.
  4. Never let geography be an excuse for anything.
  5. Sometimes, you need a little crazy.
  6. You may not marry “the love of your life”; and that is okay.
  7. Chocolate will always, always be better than wine.
  8. Indulge in your pain and like it.
  9. Often, all of them “wrong” choices lead you to all of the “right” places.
  10. No one knows what size your jeans are.
  11. The truth hurts, so we lie.
  12. Mamma Mia! soundtrack is kind of awesome.
  13. Live your amends.
  14. Abby Lee Miller is right: “You are only as good as your last performance;” so, always perform to the best of your current ability.
  15. Love him anyways. Or, her. (That is okay, too.)
  16. It is good to be scared--it means you still, have something to lose.
  17. Hating someone is the most exhausting thing.
  18. Lorelai Gilmore is hilarious.
  19. Eat the damn cake.
  20. Eat the broccoli, too.
  21. Blood does not make a family; love does.
  22. Do not postpone what you want.
  23. You are going to miss him/her so much, some days, you will not know if you are going to make it; but you will.
  24. Embody class and grace, by self-definition, and not that of the media.
  25. Read a book; not your iPad; an actual, paper book.
  26. Forgive an apology that you did not receive. Note: forgiving someone and condoning their behavior are different things.
  27. Your body is the protector of your soul; so, taking care of your body is preserving your soul.
  28. While he/she may swoon every girl, within a fifty mile radius, he/she is not the sun; you are.
  29. Be thoughtful. Truly, genuinely thoughtful.
  30. You will have multiple soul mates; and not all of them will be romantic.
  31. Dance whenever and wherever you feel like it.
  32. Watch Friends.
  33. You can love someone and not desire to spend time with them.
  34. Do not leave anything misunderstood.
  35. No choice is completely right, or completely wrong. All choices are valid.
  36. You do not have to understand everything; but you do have to respect everything.
  37. Walk away. Just, walk away. It is okay to be the one, who throws in the white flag, first.
  38. The Notebook is not the greatest love story of all time; yours is.
  39. Listen to your grandparents tell those seemingly boring stories because one day they will be only a story.
  40. Make sure that your Instagram profile is as interesting as your life.
  41. A proper bra is not a luxury; it is a necessity.
  42. Slip into a little black dress and go out with your friends. Learn from your mistakes that night.
  43. There is strength in tears.
  44. Yoga is pretty much terrible. And it is fine to be the only human on Earth to think so.
  45. You can love Bach. You can love Drake, too.
  46. Your story is not exclusively yours. Your history is a compilation of all of the moments you have ever experienced, with all of the people you have ever known.
  47. Wear candy apple red lipstick. Yes, you can pull it off.
  48. Let yourself feel lonely.
  49. What other people think of you is none of your business. (And give None of Your Business by Salt ‘n’ Pepa at least one listen, per day).
  50. Everything is temporary. Everything. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
  51. Say no when necessary, and yes, as often as possible.
  52. Do not gossip; you are wasting time. Instead, do… anything else.
  53. Be a gracious winner, and be a gracious loser.
  54. Who cares if glitter is tasteless?
  55. Only chase after yourself; a stronger you, a more mature you, a wiser you.
  56. When someone shows you who they truly are, believe them the first time.
  57. It is wise to sleep on it.
  58. Sing Taylor Swift, as loud as you possibly can, everywhere.
  59. Tell him/her off, please.
  60. You are your past. Own it.
  61. If you love someone, tell him/her; even if you are afraid it is not the right time; even if you fear it will cause problems, you say it. Out loud.
  62. There is nothing worse, in the entire world, than missing an opportunity, that could have changed your life.
  63. It is okay to say it is not okay.
  64. You do not have to believe in anything more than the moon and the stars.
  65. Watch Golden Girls, with your Momma.
  66. New York City will never fail to make you crave life.
  67. You do not have to do anything, but breathe.
  68. Sometimes, it is better to stay in the dark. While, yes; there is fear; there is also hope.
  69. Get a new dream.
  70. Do not mask your Southern accent.
  71. Read To Kill A Mockingbird. Hate it? Love it? I do not care. READ IT.
  72. Savor silence.
  73. Try to tell a story, without relating it to your love life. I know, it is hard; but try it! Because, when you do, I bet you will find an incredible moral, just, waiting to pop out at you.
  74. Complacency and mediocrity are different. Mediocrity is acceptable. Complacency is not.
  75. Bask in being single; bask in falling in love. They are both gifts.
  76. Find a synonym, for “love.” Now, use it.
  77. Gratitude is good, for the soul.
  78. Run, everyday. Your body is the bomb-diggity. Now, show it that you think so!
  79. Sleep is productive.
  80. Feminism is the belief that all humans should be socially equal. Do not misunderstand that.
  81. Water is your best friend. Not gatorade, not sweet tea; water.
  82. A “sin” is the execution of an action, that your soul feels is unkind, inconsiderate, and/or untrue.
  83. Feel beautiful; even when, you look like *&^%. Your self-efficacy will thank you.
  84. All will be well; all will be well. All matter of things will be well.
  85. Voting for Hillary Clinton simply because she is a woman is perfectly acceptable. You do you.
  86. It is just, fine to be the only person in the world to not like coffee; I mean I drink it like we will be having a Brevard Coffee Party, but you? Feel free to not like it.
  87. Chocolate is just, a temporary fix. Now, chocolate ice cream may just be the permanent fix.
  88. Love art. Hate art.
  89. Do not look at your phone; that text can wait. So can that one.
  90. Spend more time being, not doing.
  91. You have been told that there is a thin line between love and hate since birth. Remember, that means there is a thin line between hate and love, too.
  92. Boundaries do not always keep others out; they fence you in.
  93. Read the book. Watch the movie. And understand both are artistic, in their own right.
  94. Letting go does not mean you no longer care. It means you care more; you care enough to respect closure. So, let go and be proud to do so.
  95. Always take the stairs.
  96. Study anatomy; understand your body.
  97. Sing, poorly. And often.
  98. Meditate.
  99. You will reach a point, where all you want is more time. And you will not have it.
  100. So, just, do it.

Because, no one else will.