YES, I Chose To Be An Educator

YES, I Chose To Be An Educator

No, teaching isn't for everyone, but IT IS for me.

80
YES, I Chose To Be An Educator
kindercraze.com

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a teacher. I idolized my educators, memorizing how they dressed, pulled back their hair, and held their clipboard when they took roll in the mornings - all so I could go home that night and do the same when it was my turn to have my "own classroom" full of stuffed animals and imaginary trouble making students (who cares if the were imaginary? They spent most of the time in the hallway anyway). There was never a "first day of school" that I dreaded. I never cringed at the thought of school supplies hitting the racks in Wal-Mart and I was always SO excited to pick out my backpack for the year. School made me happy.

Soon High School was upon me and although I didn't jump up and down at the thought of school - I still never hated it. At this point, the impact that my teachers had made on me had highly influenced my future. I was set -- Education it was.

As my freshman year of college is off in full swing I am constantly being asked what my major is. Everyone's face is the same; the "oh, poor girl" look. It gets old. Everyone's response is the same; "I could never do that!" But the scary thing is - that is not the only negative response that I get;

Please tell me again how stupid I am for majoring in education.

Please tell me again that I will make no money and should have chosen a different path.

Please tell me that my degree is a slack off and that I should use my knowledge elsewhere.

Please remind me of the lack of money that I will make - yet again.

and please, let me know that "having the summers off" will be the most rewarding part of my career.

Because I will have to ask:

Who helped you reach your major?

Who helped you learn to read, write or basically perform any of the tasks you use daily?

(teachers kid here) Do you really know what teachers do in the summer?

and when you tell me that I should use my knowledge elsewhere... just ponder something... Who gave you yours?

and just let me state:

I am FULLY aware of the money, or lack of, that I will be making.

No teaching isn't for everyone but IT IS for me. I know that my paycheck will not have total up to the amount of smiles that I will have a day after one of my students finally learns to tie his shoes, write her ABC's or master the lineup system that I decide to use. I know that I will always be working overtime - but never getting paid for it... (that's when those smiles will be paying me). I know that I will miss my family and nights at home for Christmas Concerts, Programs and meetings -- but those kids will become my own too. Teaching is more than just teaching. Being an educator means caring and helping students learn. Not only academically but also about themselves and who they want to be.

Even as a college freshman I have learned to ignore the ignorant comments. There is truly nothing as aggravating as someone bashing your calling. Because that's truly what it is... Education is NOT a path for everyone. Education is not a degree that you just "fall into." Education is a calling -- a calling that I am so excited to fulfill.

So here I am, a freshman in college, with, thanks to Pinterest, a fully planned classroom layout, parent-teacher conference ideas, internet sources already fully planned out and enough knowledge (from my teachers of course) to know that all of that will probably change within the next year.

So the next time that you bash education remember how you got to the point that you at today. Remember those helping hands that guided you along the way and who will be doing the same for your children. Better yet - the next time that you ask me what my major is - thank me. And if you think that sounds silly, let me ask you: Could you be an educator? Because, if it's so "easy," please, tell me why people aren't lining up to declare this major.