5 Beauty Mistakes You Don't Realize You're Making

Sometimes it's the simplest things.

271

Makeup tutorials and skincare routines can be hard things to master. We get so caught up in the latest trends that we forget how to correctly beautify ourselves. Not properly taking care of ourselves, like our skin, can lead to excessive breakouts and overall poor health.

In addition to that, not doing it the right way can cause even more problems than we realized. That's why ensuring we make no mistakes when it comes to our beauty routines is vital. With that said, here's a brief list a few beauty mistakes you're probably making that you didn't know.

Read on to find out what they are!

Over-plucking Your Eyebrows

Whether you like your eyebrows thick or thin, tweezing them is a must to keep them looking good. But too much plucking can cause the hair not to grow back.

Not to mention it can turn into a life-changing disorder if you get impulses to excessively pluck.

If you've noticed your eyebrows are getting out of hand, tweezers are a great tool but they're not for everyone. It's no lie that it hurts to pluck your brows. After all, you're literally ripping the hair out of your face. Gross, right?

If the sight of tweezers makes your stomach turn, consider this alternative: a razor.

Razors can get the job done without pulling out your eyebrow hair. Not to mention there's less pain involved. However, if you do decide to opt for a razor, be warned that your brows will need to be maintained more often than with tweezing.

You'll want to make sure you work with sharp blades. Just like a chef in a kitchen, dull blades can cause more harm than good. Sharpen blades ensure you get a clean cut each time without making yourself bleed. For great quality blades, you can view them here.

Your Flat Iron Is on a Low Setting

You may think keeping your trusty flat iron on a low setting is saving you years of damage. But in reality, it's doing the opposite. That low heat means you're probably straightening the same area multiple times.

Keeping your attention on one chunk of hair can not only cause it to frizz but damage as well. That's why if you end up with a what looks like a poofy blowout, it's because of what temperature your flat iron is on.

Now, I'm not saying you need to dial that iron up to the highest setting. Instead, use a heat protectant and crank that flat iron up to a more appropriate level. Prepping your hair before ironing will protect it better than using it on a low temperature.

Does cranking the heat up scare you? Next time you get your hair cut, ask your stylist which temperature (or setting) they recommend for straightening your hair. They'll be able to tell you which one is right for your specific length, style, and texture.

Over-treating Blemishes

We all know how tedious it can be to try and get rid of a pimple. Out of pure frustration and annoyance, we slap on every product we have that treats breakouts. Instead of solving the problem, it creates a new one: dry skin.

Over-medicating pimples will lead to dry skin and possibly more blemishes. One routine that doesn't only go easy on the number of products but the steps as well is to apply an acne cleanser once in the morning then again at night.

Simplifying your routine will ensure you're taking care of those problem pimples the right way. And as for popping goes, it'll always be a no-no. Think of everything you've touched throughout the day and then putting all those germs and bacteria to an area that was already affected.

If you feel the need to extract a blackhead or a stubborn zit, wash your face with the cleanser instead. Then be sure to moisturize every time you do so you don't dry out your skin. Dry skin, in this case, equals more pimples.

Forgetting Your Neck

While our faces and hands show age, there's another place that gives away just how old you are: your neck. When moisturizing, treat that area as well. Keeping it hydrated is the key to turning back the clock and maintaining a youthful appearance.

When applying your makeup, make sure you bring it down to your neck and decolletage. This includes your foundation, concealer, and highlighter.

Sure, it may eat up some extra time in the morning but it's well worth it. Your skin tone will look more even and balanced, all the way down to your neck and chest.

Not Cleaning Makeup Brushes

It's understandable: we all get lazy or we're too busy to think about cleaning our makeup brushes. But our glittery mermaid brushes have a dark side when they're not cleaned. They can be host to bacteria and a myriad of germs.

Left uncleaned, it can cause breakouts and not to mention an uneven complexion thanks to the caked-on makeup on the bristles. All that makeup left on the brushes will leave behind clumps on your skin making not only your makeup look bad but your skin as well.

It'll be harder to apply your makeup which can lead to using an excessive amount. That's product wasted thanks to those gunked-up brushes.

Nowadays, there is technology that you can purchase (for a price, of course) that'll clean your brushes automatically. Not to mention most companies that are in the beauty industry have their own brand of brush cleaners. However, using soap and water will do the trick.