"Bearing Down" as told by "Last Chance U"

Aside from these lessons, among others, I really loved this documentary series.

7
Geoff Scott

A new documentary series on Netflix, “Last Chance U,” demonstrates a rehabilitated team of football players working hard to get a shot at playing in the NFL. Their academic, social and behavioral problems are exposed to the public in a very raw and real way – completely uncensored. While there is a lot of swearing in the series, I suggested my 13-year-old brother watch this show, as he is aspiring to play collegiate-level basketball. I feel this show can be really powerful in showing the importance of academic success, especially for athletes. Furthermore, I think the show is really relatable even as a student who does not play college sports because I learned a lot of things about working toward your goals and having to do things you don’t want to do, and continuing to push yourself to be the best with things you are better at. For example, the athletes in the show did not want to go to class or study for tests, but were always pushing themselves and their teammates to be better on the field.

The athletic academic advisor in the series, Brittany Wagner, became such an inspiration to me because of her passion for helping others and her attention to the need for academic success in addition to that on the field. She truly cares about the student athletes, making it clear to them the importance of attending class and studying for tests in order to pass courses so the boys can graduate and hopefully go to play in the NFL. I think this is a significant lesson for all students to understand, not just student-athletes. Academic success and going to college to earn a degree can be life changing in the long run. For example, having a college degree can either make or break landing one’s dream job, or it could mean a big difference in salary.

I think there are other lessons presented in “Last Chance U” that are related to loyalty, trust and working together. During one of the episodes, Ronald Ollie leaves his college town to go home after getting diagnosed with a concussion. He wanted to go home where he felt safe and understood, because he was so upset he could not play due to his head injury. What made this worse was the fact some of his coaches and teammates did not believe he was actually injured, and that he was faking it. Ollie felt betrayed by other members in the program, and with enough efforts from Miss Wagner, he finally came back to school. Ollie and Miss Wagner have a very close relationship that is discovered throughout the series. Not only does it support having a person like Miss Wagner be a part of every athletic team’s program, but in everyday life, you need people in your life who you trust and can really rely on to help you make the best decisions for your life.

Aside from these lessons, among others, I really loved this documentary series. It was so genuine and real, which not only added to the authenticity of the players and events that happened throughout the show, but it made the show very relatable. The relationships between players and coaches and teachers are amazing to watch, and nearly witness in real time. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of swearing that occurs in the episodes, but the show plays upon so many emotions and viewers get to really feel like they are a part of the program and know the players. I have found a reason to recommend this show to anyone – it explains valuable life lessons that anyone should know and be reminded of in any time of their life. The universal themes existent in the series are presented in a unique way, which makes it entertaining and valuable simultaneously. Plus, who can't love a show in which the head coach uses the phrase "we need to BEAR DOWN?"