be yourself, be real, acceptance, love, self-acceptance

God Never Meant for us to be someone else

(Matthew 5:13-16)

99

In order to be ourselves, we must let go of the obligation to follow what others think we ought to be. Nor do we need to allow ourselves to succumb to the negativity of what others deem as truth, but in reality, these ideas of theirs are simply their opinions. It is nothing more. It is imperative to stay focused on the way God views us. This brings me to particular past occurrences from my youth. On the mid-back portion of my head is a grey streak of textured fine hair, which I was born with. I desired to be similar to others during my youth, so I decided to dye my hair. I covered up my grey hairstreak, which made me normal. However, I was still criticized for who I was as a person. Others began to tell me I am "too this" or "too that." -whether this meant my hair color, personality, my choices in life, dreams, ambitions, or my passions and interests. "Why don't you try fitting in Tracey?" Another told me. Due to me being myself, others ostracized me.

As time progressed, I matured, and I realized what others did not. To not be ourselves is disastrous. It allows chaos to come forth, and in truth, to be ourselves is what sets us on the destination to be successful in life. It allows one to experience freedom, unconditional love by attracting what is right, higher performance ability, purpose, and happiness. Propelling one towards one's purpose is what truly results from being you. After all, no one else can be you, and you can't be anyone else. Why try then?

In consequence of being yourself, there will be others who cannot handle your light, your truth, your talents, and abilities. It intimidates them. It makes them extremely uncomfortable. Instead of admitting this discomfort within themselves and using self-reflection, there are some others that would rather project this discomfort, blame, upon you. It is easier for them to believe a lie than to admit the truth about you. They do not want to change themselves, and they do not want others to change into a life that is successful since they do not possess it themselves. It is true that being uncomfortable causes growth, and being who you are will cause the growth of another to occur. However, there are some people who do not want to grow. Then there are some others who are just miserable and unhappy with themselves. With this, after all, to hate you becomes much easier if they can somehow persuade themselves that you are either defective or bad in some shape or form. In this case, they begin to look for real or perceived flaws in order to justify their hate and negative actions. With this indicator, it is not your job to fix them. It is not your job to please them. It is not your job to make them happy. It is, however, your job to dismiss their negativity, to shine your light, and to complete your purpose. Continue onward with being yourself. Focusing on these types of individuals will diminish your focus and therefore your ability to perform. Just simply dismiss the negativity, and continue onward with the purpose that God has laid out for your life. Remember the truth of who you are.

Truth matters. The truth is that it is important to not hide our light away just as it is instructed in Matthew 5:13-16. "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Fitting into the world is not the meaning of our purpose nor is it our destination; but the importance of this matter is for us to stand apart and to become a light in an extremely dark world. Albert Einstein stated the following, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Truly, what parts of yourself are you hiding away? Are you like the fish in the metaphor? You have a purpose, so don't forget. (Romans 12:4-8).

Today, my hair is the color that I was born with. I no longer dye my hair. As I walk down the street, I find myself collecting the comments of others in regards to my grey hairstreak on the back of my head. What occurs next is this thought. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14) It is true. God designed me beautifully and uniquely. In an unusual way, my hair is a reminder for me to stay true to myself in all other areas of my life. For future purposes, I choose when or if I am to ever dye my hair again, but I do love my hair! Something else to consider by all of this is the following. Am I pursuing truth in all situations or am I following my own unconscious desires or biases? Sometimes it is important to take a step back to use self-reflection, discernment, and prayer in order to determine whether we are actually following God's voice or pretending our voice is actually God's. "But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7) "Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment." (John 7:24) God looks to the heart of matters, and God judges man by his heart. In ending, do not look to what the appearances may seemingly be, but instead, use discernment.