Save And Be Green

10 Ways To Be Green, And Save Some Green, In A College Apartment

Being green doesn't have to be expensive and can actually be saving your money.

77

It's moving in season once again! For the people moving into apartments this academic year, a lot will be spent on a variety of furniture and other necessities required to move in. So you might be wondering the ways to save and help your wallet. Surprisingly, being green might be the solution.

1. $10 can go a long way with a draft stopper 

Especially in the cold winter states/cities (a'hem Chicago), heat can cost quite a bit in the winter months. That's where draft stoppers come in. Draft stoppers can help insulate your rooms when placed in front of windows and the bottom of doors in the apartment. Lowers the cost and lowers the use, which helps both your wallet and the impact of your heater! It's easy to make, if you want, and there are also many cute designs out there too!

2. Opt out of junk mail

All that annoying junk mail that you end up simply throwing out actually can be stopped. That would reduce the need to throw out these papers and dealing with them from that point on. You can simply go to websites like this to stop the flow of paper into your mailbox.

3. Switch to non-toxic cleaning products

Even if it may be a new apartment to you, the apartment most likely will need some weekly/daily cleaning. Some of that equipment can be expensive. But switching to non-toxic cleaning products can help because most of them can be DIY'ed and easily made with things that you may have available in your home. Easy, free, and clean!

4. Plants, plants, and more plants!

One of the more obvious options is buying plants. It's a green investment and great décor for a small apartment! So it's a cheaper, green way to make your place look nice. You can cultivate a hobby of growing them as a nice relaxing past time too. And if you don't want anything too cumbersome, you can always hop on the succulent bandwagon.

5. Plug-it on and off

For small appliances like iPhone chargers or other things you don't need to be plugged in every hour of the day, get a smart power strip to turn it off at once when not needed. This will help out your electricity bill and from exploiting to much energy on your part. Plug-ins cost as low as $7 at any place near you.

6. Stop the money and the water from flowing out

Get a water saving shower head and save money on your water bill! Simple to change out, so no hassle! Just an easy buy for as low as $2 and saving more money. How much better can it get?

7. Change out the bulbs

Another easy fix with an investment in LED lightbulbs and a chair to help you reach the light bulbs. Once your old, regular incandescent light bulbs burn out, change to LED lightbulbs which last longer and use less energy with each use.

8. Recycle those bottles!

Try to use reusable mugs and bottles, but when you do have plastics, make sure to make an extra effort to correctly dispose of them! Take advantage of recycling facilities if you have one near you. They will give you back money for the amount of water bottles and other recyclable bottles you bring. You're getting your money back!

9. Clean that filter!

If you or your landlord can clean the filter on your AC or heater, it can help make it more efficient. Keeping it clean and efficient is nice for the AC and heater itself, as well as a good way to keep your home warm or cool and keeping the costs down.

10. Get broken things fixed

ASAP! If you have even the slightest leak or some kind of broken part of any part of your home, get it fixed right away. You don't want to pay for the extra that was due to the breakage. Stops the heat or water from being wasted too!