Be Careful

Be Careful

Modern music.

32
Be Careful
How Why What

Welcome to the year two thousand and seventeen. Society has survived through a predicted world end in Y2K, Britney Spears has grown her hair back and karaoke is still pretty cool. In all, I’d say we’re quite the accomplished civilization. Rapid advancement in the world of technologies, social medias, music and movies are some of the few components of what bind together this growing group of humans on Earth. But, how about this...as an individual, do these ever growing facets of society add to your demise or your success as a person? What are you placing your focus on?

Music is a universal language that has brought together people of all variety since the beginning of time. It has developed over this span significantly. Today we listen to music from classical piano forte and cello, to bluesy jazz, to heavy metal rapping. Music has truly become a world in itself. What music do you listen to? What rhythms synchronize with your heart beat? What sounds make you feel more alive? In all of this noise, though, I urge you to protect your heart and mind. “Be careful little ears what you hear” is so completely accurate. Does the cussing and sexual immorality and utter violence in today’s top hits truly give any sort of self edification? Feed your mind and heart just as you would feed your body as a whole. Give your heart and mind the nutrients and sustenance to help it grow in a positive manner. I assure you a clean song will be just as much, if not more, enjoyable as an explicit song if your mind has the right focus.

Movies are a great way to pass time in almost any circumstance. Honestly, anyone who knows me well enough, knows that I will watch what I consider to be a good movie twelve times over just because I like it that much. I really love movies and think they are a fantastic invention. However, why is it that some of my favorite movies just had to slip R rated scenes or take God’s name in vain? Honestly, why? The movie would be just as entertaining without seeing that passionate love scene or cursing for the sake of the ability to utter the word. One of my all time favorite movies, "The Breakfast Club," for example...fantastic storyline with a lot of meaning and depth to it. I would recommend anyone to watch it nine out of ten. It loses at least one point in my personal rating because of the abundance of cursing. I would have adored that movie and still found its meaning to have depth if the overuse of the F word and inappropriate sexual referencing were absent. “Be careful little eyes what you see.” For this reason, and a silly as it may sound, I spend more time watching Disney than I do much else...and I’m pretty happy and okay with that.

You are what you eat, just as much as you put out what you take in. Make sure you are taking in healthy and positive things. You don’t need to be constantly flooded with the garbage and inappropriate jargon that the modern society we live in throws at you. Take care of your heart and mind. Watch and listen to what will grow you, and avoid what does not.

The choice will always be yours, but I hope you choose the positive one.