I Can't Sing And Dance, But I Am SO Excited To Perform In Baylor Sing

Hopefully I don't actually break a leg!

98

If you should know anything about me, it's that I can't sing or dance to save my life. So when the opportunity to sing and dance in front of 2,000 people came my way, I was ready to say "heck to the no."

Baylor Sing is one of the most important and iconic traditions our university has to offer. For those of you don't know, Sing consists of organizations on Baylor's campus, such as fraternities and sororities, putting on seven-minute Broadway-style performances complete with singing, dancing, costumes, makeup, and lots of props.

When I first heard of Sing, I never thought I could do it myself.

Especially when I have not one dancing bone in my body. The Sing act itself is an intense 7-minute performance that I thought I would never be able to do. And when I was presented with the opportunity to join my organization's Sing act, I was ready to say no.

As a student with a 24/7 on-campus job, I thought I wouldn't be able to handle it.

But then I heard about all the amazing memories and friends people make while putting together their act for the entire Baylor community. They said you would meet people in your sorority that you would have never known or become best friends with before Sing. And then they told us about how rewarding it is to put on an act you have worked on for a long time and finally show it to an audience of more than 2,000 people. Even then, I was still nervous to commit to Sing.

But I did it anyway. And now I can't imagine my Baylor experience without it.

Sure, I almost twisted my ankle twice while dancing, lost my voice after a 3-hour rehearsal and complained to my parents over the phone about how Sing took a lot of time and energy from me, but it will be all worth it in a few short days.

I can only imagine what our first show night will be like, as the curtain draws open and the spotlights shine on our faces, ready to give a performance of a lifetime.