Batman Day: Ruined by The Common Cold

Batman Day: Ruined by The Common Cold

The most hanis villain from Batman's rogue's gallery!

8
Batman Day: Ruined by The Common Cold
https://unsplash.com/photos/n-2_KHgeAy0

Batman is one of my favorite characters of all time. I think we have all come to realize that and this year marks his 80th Anniversary. Naturally, that calls for a day of celebration and DC Comics went all out this year! All across the globe, major cities shined their own Bat-Signals into the night sky, drawing thousands of people to flood the streets and celebrate the caped crusader. A glorious day for any Batman fan... Unfortunately, I was sick! Yes, oh yes one of the biggest Batman experts on the planet, me, had a nasty cold last weekend. I thought I was going to be able to handle it. I thought I was going to be able to get out of bed and go and celebrate! But no, I was deathly sick.

Last Thursday I went to bed feeling perfectly fine. At worst maybe a light tickle in my throat. I couldn't fall asleep right away for some reason. Maybe it was my roommate talking in his sleep again. Or maybe it was the smell of weeks old dishes on his desk polluting every square inch of the room. Either way, I couldn't sleep, which was a predicament because I had two exams the next day. So, I eventually fell asleep at around 4:00 a.m. and forced myself to get up at 8:00 am for my 8:35 class. I could tell something was up because my nose was slightly running and allergy season had already passed. I go to classes which are back to back and take the exams. Now my entire Friday was free once again for me to whatever I pleased. I planned on spending my Batman day out in the park, reading comics or watching Batman films. Maybe even invite some friends over to watch "The Dark Knight" (2008). But once I laid down in bed I wasn't getting up. As the day continued, I felt my head getting more and more congested. It felt like something was squeezing my brain. It was a struggle to breathe as it felt like I had to gasp for air every twenty minutes, or I'll suffocate. While all this is happening, I am taking tabs on my heartbeat and the headaches made sense when It read 138 bpm, then 169.

I contemplated working on my will. I know, I know I am dramatic, but I honestly didn't know if I was going to survive the weekend. My mom was coming down on Sunday for Parent's Weekend sure, but I definitely considered messaging the girl I liked and tell her how I felt. I was that bad and what made it worse was the next day as I sat in my bed sneezing and blowing my nose, I saw online everyone tweeting and celebrating Batman day. All the Batman influencers were posting stuff on him, the pictures were starting to come in of everyone witnessing the Bat-Signal. Even Fortnite released their game patch with included Batman in the game! Don't even let me explain to you how annoyed I am having Batman in the game… and yes I did fork over $20 for the skin. I was definitely depressed on Saturday. All Batman stuff aside the OU football game was going on and my friend wanted to go. Any other day I would've been "yeah let's go!" not just because it's football but, just because it's something fun to do on campus. I couldn't even talk so I knew there was no way I was going to make it through a football game.

My mom came down the next day and the first thing I did when I got into the car was take some liquid medicine she got from CVS. We went to go see "Angel Has Fallen" (2019) and by then I was feeling better. I still had shortness of breath which really concerned me because I've never had it before. I do have a really good immune system because of years of conditioning so when I get sick it's usually because I slept too close to a fan. There's still two months left of 2019 and more importantly two months left for Batman's 80thanniversary! There is still time to celebrate. Especially with "Joker" (2019) coming out next Friday! Let's hope I don't get another virus.