Band Is A Huge Part Of My LIfe!

Band Is A Huge Part Of My LIfe!

Always push and have confidence in yourself!

11
Band Is A Huge Part Of My LIfe!
Jessi White

Everyone has something special they enjoy doing and that makes them happy. I love to perform music and I have since I was in sixth grade. It makes me happy to be able to do something I enjoy throughout elementary school all the way through college. I never thought I would make it this far in my music career. I am glad I get to share the love of music with everyone who continues to support me and the music program at Keystone College.

I first started music in sixth grade on the clarinet. It wasn't my first choice of an instrument but I enjoyed learning it. In the middle of seventh grade I played bass clarinet all the way through tenth grade. Then, Tenth through twelfth grade I played tenor saxophone. In college I play both clarinet and tenor saxophone. I have also participated in concert, marching, jazz, pep, and symphonic band. I have participated and grew as a musician while being in band for nine years.

Being in band wasn't always fun and easy, it was actually the opposite of that. Ever since I started band, I have had a rough time counting sixteenth notes and getting the rhythms right. I struggled with that throughout middle and high school also into college. It didn't help when I started late in musical career either. I was always the last person to get recognized in my section especially when it came to chair tests. I practiced constantly every day and weekend to get ahead, but I always fell short because there were so much better players in my band. I also had a hard time with having confidence in myself because there were many times people told me I could never be as good as I wanted. I didn't let that stop me from doing what I love.

As I entered college, it was a fresh start in my musical career because I was able to perform without anyone judging my musical abilities. I started out as being shy and not playing out as much and hiding behind the stronger players in symphonic band. As I continued to play my freshmen year of college, my band director pushed me to play out and not be afraid of making a mistake. He knew I didn't have as much confidence in myself but he wasn't going to let me hide in my shell. Especially in jazz band, I had a lot of catching up to do.

We recently had a Christmas band concert here at Keystone College. After practicing for days and weeks on end, I felt like not only I did a great job, but also everyone in the bands and Choral. Band is like a family, you can rely and talk to the people around you. It's also when people believe in you, but it's also important to believe in yourself. I know I have come a long ways in improving. I am slowly getting out of my shell and proving to myself I can be a great musician, I just have to take risks and make mistakes sometimes. If it wasn't for everyone who believes in me, I don't think I would have made it this far. I love making music and learning new rhythms, because it makes me happy. Always do what you love and have faith in yourself to do what you love the most!