To My Childhood Best Friend, Through Everything Forever

No matter where our lives take us, I know we'll always have each other to call "best friend."

27
Wordpress

To My Banana,

It's crazy to think that we've known each other and been best friends for nearly two decades. We've experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly together, which has only strengthened our friendship and made it into what it is today!

It's not often that you meet someone at three years old and maintain a best-friendship with that person. I'm sure our preschool selves had no idea what we were getting into upon befriending one another. The ten years we spent together in elementary and middle school molded me into the person I am today. You helped me see what true friendship is and how to determine if it's worth fighting to keep someone in my life.

Once we were in high school, it got a little harder. After spending so many years together in school, it was weird not seeing you on a daily basis. Living on opposite sides of the island wasn't helpful either; it wasn't easy to convince my parents to make the 20-minute drive just so spend a couple hours with you. We still made it work, and we found ways and time to hang out every now and then; I have the embarrassing Mac Photobooth pictures to prove it.

Even though we live in the day and age of technology, you still tried thinking of fun ways for us to stay in contact. I'll never forget the first letter you mailed to me when I first went away to college. I cried tears of joy when I opened my mailbox and saw your handwriting on the front of the envelope; the only other person that ever sent me stuff was my mom (Hi, Mom). It was in that moment that I realized how much I meant to you and how you truly were my best friend.

All my life, I've had trouble convincing people to stick around. I never felt valued or appreciated; just kept around at people's disposal. You have helped me see that that isn't true. I know you pick on me (a lot), but it's all out of love. You've taught me that it's okay if not everyone likes you, as long as the people you care about feel the same way.

Thank you for all the birthday parties, Facetime venting sessions, and inside jokes. I would drop everything for you if you ever asked me to, like that one time we went to Ralph's just because you wanted the company. No matter where our lives take us, I know we'll always have each other to call "best friend." But you're much more than that – you are like a sister to me, and I'll always treasure you. I can't wait to come home so we can go on cute dates, go to the bars, or just bum out at my house.

Love always,

Your Cantaloupe