When You Can't Balance Classes, Social Life And Self-Care In College
Life Stages

Raise Your Hand If You Forgot How To Balance Classes, Social Life And Self-Care In College

Last year, I had a constant buzzing in my head about the assignments due soon and it drove me crazy.

129
Girls gathered around a bonfire

Stepping onto the campus and breathing the fresh air, I got a sense that this year is going to be good. Good scheduling, established friends, and mediocre living conditions define the college experience. But after so many months of inactivity, I have forgotten how to have a class, homework, and social life all in balance.

Last year, I had a constant buzzing in my head about the assignments due soon and it drove me crazy. I would run around from class to class, unable to do any of the assignments because there simply wasn't enough time after sitting on the bus for five hours (an exaggeration, of course, more like three hours). Even eating feels like a hassle. As soon as I sat down, my friends would ask me to go out to eat with them, so I reluctantly put my assignments down. When I get back to the dorm, I end up sleeping around 10 p.m. because of my 8 a.m. classes. The cycle continues.

This year, I want to have set times in my day that are dedicated to studying and homework. I want to have time to hang out with my friends too. Having time to go to different clubs and activities is important to me. I learned that if I want to continue doing good work in my clubs and activities, I have to be very efficient in my studying habits. This year, I have also set times to specifically rest, also known as taking a Sabbath. During my Sabbath, I take a break from feeling responsible for all my homework. It's a very relaxing day to spend with God and with friends when I literally spend the day not worrying about anything. I have to learn this year to say no to tempting social activities so that I can continue being a student but also have enough fun to have stories to tell people.

How do you guys get back into the swing of things? What do you do to balance your work and social life?