Trying to Do It All?

It can be difficult to maintain balance when you’re working, going to school, and have a family. The key to achieving balance is to stay organized and flexible. Here are some ways to help you do it all.

Ask About a Flexible Schedule

Your employer may be sympathetic to the challenges in your life. Ask your manager if you can work a more flexible schedule. This would allow you to focus on your family and your education. You may even decide that part time is a better option until you’re done with school. This can give you more time in your busy schedule to handle everything else. You don’t want to burn yourself out. This won’t benefit anyone, your employer included.

Look Into an Online Degree

One solution for working parents is to switch to an online educational program. If you’re going to school for nursing, for example, you could switch to a DNP program online. This would give you greater flexibility in balancing the rest of your life. You could work towards your degree at your own pace and in your own time. This can be after the kids have gone to bed. You can even consider doing your coursework while the kids are doing their homework. It can be family school time.

Plan Special Family Activities

A part of creating balance in your life is to spend quality time with your family. On your days off, plan memorable family activities. This way you can still feel as though you’re connecting with your family. Make sure to set aside some time for just you and your partner. You want to maintain all of the relationships in your life. This also means that you need to create some time for yourself. You don’t need to feel guilty because you’re busy.

Create a Calendar Organizer

The best way to stay organized and on top of your life is to be organized. You can do this by creating a calendar. Consider posting this calendar on the wall of your kitchen. That way the whole family can see what is going on and get excited about any upcoming events. You don’t want to forget something that is important. This will allow you to capture all the things that need to done. You may realize that you’ve overbooked by looking at this visual display of your activities.

To maintain balance you need to limit your distractions so that you can focus on the task at hand. Look into creative ways to make the most of your time.