Take Bad Photos, Even If The Internet Is Forever

Get comfortable with your bad side, fam.

147
Chelsea Gish

I'm sick of all the sorority poses and cheap grins that permeate my social media feed every day. They look like stock photos; they look fake.

What really intrigues me are the people who are brave enough to post the bad photos, the funny photos, the photos that aren't going on your resume. Why? Because they are candid and amazing and true to you.

Pop culture and all its media outlets have striven for perfection since the dawn of photoshop. That visual paragon, achieved by stock grins and hourglass figures has permeated average society by forcing the everyday Instagrammer to take dozens of photos before choosing the elusive 'right one.'

To me, this achieves a look of falsehood. As we stand there posing for the perfect photo are we truly in the moment experiencing whatever you strive to document? Nope. We all know inside that we're way more concerned about the angle than the experience. And sometimes our friends can tell. I've scrolled through my Facebook feed to see the perfect faces of tons of people I know, but they look so stale and unfamiliar.

The perfect photos my roommate uploads are a far cry from those insane late-night Snapchats we send each other. Some of those double-chinned beauties will remain on Snapchat and disappear forever, thankfully, but sometimes I'll screenshot a couple and save for a rainy day. Because the candid photos and ridiculous expressions award me immeasurable and instantaneous happiness.

So upload those silly pictures! Upload the ridiculous laughter, the bad angles, the candid smirks and grins. That's what makes life enjoyable, and I bet 10 times out of 10 you look back at the fun photos of you with your BFFs hanging around the couch more than the perfected sorority photo, complete with matching outfits.

And I'm not saying those posed photos are bad. We've all seen the perfectly executed pics that leave us amazed or straining ourselves in laughter. But they are few and far between. Obviously, there are some truly bad photos. I have a few demons locked away in my phone's picture folder that will never see the light of day. But I never delete them. And neither should you!

The life you lead in photos online and your real self are incompatible. The people who care about you know you better than your perfect photos. If they're anything like me they're amazed at how different you look in photos.

I met a woman once when I was waiting in line for coffee. Her mother just passed away and it was the daughter's quest to create a movie using all the footage she had documenting her mother's life.

A morbid analogy but stick with me.

That woman, more than any of us reading this, knew the importance of pictures and video. Not only do they offer a glimpse into a life that is not our own, they record it all. The good, the bad and the ugly.

So to everyone hiding the bad photos on your phone, to everyone uploading the eleventh version of the same pose, and to everyone who revels in the hilarity and frankness of the candid photo, consider me your catalyst.

I've given up embarrassment, it's all turned to pride. I'm proud I could help my BFFs be so happy, I'm proud that I was able to accurately capture the feelings of everyone in the photo and I'm proud that for the briefest of moments I was able to set aside the beauty ideals that are embedded within me and let go. My bad photos are a badge of honor, and they should be for you too.

Get comfortable with your bad side, fam. The internet may be forever, but so are the LOLs.