Back To School Thoughts

Back To School Thoughts

11
"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."
- Aristotle

As winter break comes to an end, students everywhere are preparing for another treacherous semester. Whether you're nervous, excited, or ready for it to be over already, most of us are thinking the same things.

I'm going to bed early every night and will avoid pulling all-nighters.

While your intentions may be good, you should also think realistically. If you are just like every college student I know, you talk a big game but rarely follow through with commitments like these. It is impractical to say that you'll go to bed early every night and that you won't pull any all-nighters this semester. Instead, think rationally and set a reasonable bedtime for one night a week. Guaranteed, you'll be friends with your alarm clock in the morning.

Will I like my professors?

You can do everything in your power to prepare for the semester: start taking notes before the first day of class, place an apple on their desk before they enter the room, or even stalk their RateMyProfessors.com page. Unfortunately, your relationship with your professor relies solely on your experience with them. Just be yourself, do your work, and leave the butt-kissing for the end of the semester.

But more importantly... I'm so excited to see my friends!

And I promise they are just as excited to see you. It has been a long six weeks of being at home and not having anyone to talk to, so go out, grab a burrito and catch up on all the drama that took place over break! (Who are you kidding!? You watched 11 seasons of Grey's Anatomy and all 125 episodes of Parks and Recreation. Twice.)

I can't wait to wear my new Skechers.

We all know what you're thinking, because we're all thinking the same thing! Do I really have to get dressed? If so, then I'm secretly excited to show off all of the new stuff I got over break. So even if it only lasts a week, you rock that perfect outfit, that laptop or that backpack for the first day of class. Then you can go back to sweatpants. (We promise, we won't judge you!)

How many more days until spring break?

This should not be your biggest concern! (But if you really wanted to know, it's 48! And 109 til the end of the semester!) You should be more focused on what you plan to accomplish this semester. Set some goals for yourself and attempt to accomplish them by spring break.

So before you start thinking "How am I going to balance classes, work and sleep?" and "I don't even know what I want to do with my life," just take a step back and relax. This will be your year. Remember, back-to-school resolutions trump New Year's Eve resolutions. You can do it.