Back to school

the back to school Rush as told by cats

More class time = less nap time.

63
the back to school Rush as told by cats
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Breaded_Cat.jpg

As July comes to a close, students around the world choose to ignore the fact of the fast-approaching school year.

Whether or not you "enjoy" school, everyone has experienced some sort of panic, or perhaps it's terror, that accompanies the dread of a new school year. During this time, you're easily stressed and want nothing more than to just take a nap in the sun and ignore all of your responsibilities. Your emotions are on edge, leaving you moody and overly sensitive. You want what you want when and how you want it.

I don't know about you, but I relate to cats more during "move-in season" than any other time of the year...and for very good reasons.

The first realization

The moment that you realize that your days spent frolicking in the freedom of summer can only be compared to receiving a phone call reporting the death of your beloved pet. The sense of dread that surrounds the thought of returning to a structured schedule of classes, assignments, and meetings is enough to make you vomit. Don't let it get to you, it's just a part of life and Winter Break will be here before you know it!

But you do have things to do first.

Realizing you haven't packed yet

If the realization that you have to return to school at all is a depressing phone call, the realization that all of your clothes are still scattered on your bedroom floor is a heart attack and a half. It's a mere three days before you have to report to your dorm and you haven't even seen your "real pants" since May. Time to bust out the backhoe and start digging through that pile of musty socks under your desk.

Making last minute Amazon orders

Even if you spent your entire summer carefully planning the layout of your dorm room odds are you forgot something. Whether it's blackout curtains or, oh yeah, sheets for your bed, Amazon has got you covered. Dust off your laptop and pray for great deals online because nobody wants to sleep on an uncovered mattress for any stretch of time.

Bugging your mom

While you are packing your life away you will inevitably find yourself in a deep panic because you cannot find something. What do you do when you can't find something? Ask Mom. Seriously, moms always know where things are. On the rare occasion that they don't, it will magically appear in the place you've looked the most the second they walk into a room. Whether it's your favorite pair of socks, your TV remote, or the cherished stuffed porpoise from your childhood, your mom will definitely know where it is. All you have to do is ask.

"Cleaning" your room one last time

However, the moment she walks into your war zone of a room, your mom will also tell you that it is in dire need of cleaning before you leave for the semester. Maybe if you smile really really big and remind her how much you love and appreciate her, your mom will help you clean your room (read as she will do it for you.)

Hosting one last Netflix binge-a-thon

Now that all of the packing is done, it's time to squeeze every last drop of enjoyment out of your dwindling vacation. For most millennials, this means plopping down in front of the TV with the intent of remaining glued to that spot for at least three hours. If you need any suggestions, the Internet is a great place to look but, personally, I love The Office. Something about Jim's pranks helps you forget that you have actual responsibilities.

Cramming quality time

And what better way to enjoy vegging out than with your best friend or your significant other? The clock's a-ticking for quality time with peers that go to other schools so why not kill two birds with one stone? Snuggle up to your person of choice and enjoy it while it lasts. Before you know it, reminiscing on these moments will be the only thing to comfort you as you're crying because you're in the library at 2 AM trying to write a paper that's due at 8.

Trying on new clothes

No matter how old you are, the new school year will always mean a trip to the mall for new clothes. It is simply impossible for one to return to the "school grind" without some new threads. Sure, it may be a little materialistic to spend an entire day looking for clothes you will probably only wear for the first week but if it's the only thing that will actually make you dread going back less, go for it.

Enjoying the last of the "free" food

All college kids know two things better than anyone: food is expensive and free stuff is the best. Put two and two together and you realize that you are really going to miss the "free" and home cooked food at home when you are trying to decide between nasty cafeteria food again or spending a fortune on takeout. My suggestion? Hoard all of your favorite snacks and smuggle them in your laundry bag.

Taking your last shower at home

Let's face it: nothing beats a good shower in your own home. Living in a college dorm is rough because it can feel like you are showering in a stranger's home (and if you live in a dorm with a hall bathroom, like you are also showering with said stranger.) Time to crank up the water pressure, get some steam going, and lather up with your older sister's Lush shower gel (she won't know it's gone) because you won't have this luxury once you're back in purgatory--I mean school.

Saying goodbye to your pets

Whether you're a cat person or a dog person (you weirdos,) nothing is harder than knowing you won't see your precious fluff ball for a few months. Take the time to settle down with them on the couch, feed them a few treats, and remind them how much you love them with a good hug and a kiss. Stock them up with all of the adoration that you can before you leave them and there's less of a chance they will think you've abandoned them.

Saying goodbye to your siblings

Saying goodbye to your pets? Depressing. Saying goodbye to your siblings? Finally!

You're sick of their tendency to leave their contacts laying all over the sink and using you as free labor when the laundry needs to be done so it's about time you got out of here!

But seriously, they are still your sibling and you do have to love them (even when it's hard.) Spend a little extra time with them and make sure you don't leave on bad terms.

Imagining the drive to school

The dread of returning to school is at its peak when you start to think of the drive to campus. Something about being locked in a car with all of your belongings makes you queasy. What, are you kicking me out? Am I not enough for you anymore? Don't you love me? Don't send me back!

Smothering Mom with love

Even if you quarreled all summer, your mom is going to feel really sad when you return to campus. You're her little baby and she's going to miss you while you're gone! Sure, you can make sure you call as often as possible but that's not always enough. Surprise her with a coffee date or even just snuggling up next to her on the couch before you leave. You'll both benefit from it down the road, especially when you call to tell her about your latest stupid decision.

Realizing you're on your own again

Freedom at last!

One of the top complaints among college students during the summer is that you have to follow rules again. No more staying out late, no more letting the laundry pile up for weeks, no more getting up at noon on a Saturday morning. The one great thing about returning to school is that you can finally have your freedom back!

Realizing you're REALLY on your own again

Or is it? The downside of being able to make all of the decisions for yourself while you're away at college is that you have to make the decisions. Nobody is going to be there to remind you to do your homework, nobody will do your laundry for you when you get behind, nobody is going to bring you a hot dinner when you get out of class at 9 PM. It's all on you now, buddy.

Trying to find your school spirit

After a summer away it can feel hard to feel a lot of love for your school. Sure, it symbolizes your autonomy and you might actually enjoy some of your classes. Heck, you even have friends on campus! But the thought of going to class again makes it really hard to remember that you actually like your school.

Reuniting with your school friends

When the day finally arrives, the first thing you want to do is see all of your friends. Getting back together with the gang is one surefire way to get rid of the fear that surrounds attending the first classes in the upcoming day. Live it up now because things are about to get real.